The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Beginner or Intermediate? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/beginner-intermediate-32746/)

RideroftheWind 07-29-2009 12:51 PM

Beginner or Intermediate?

I've been riding technically for about a year and a half, but for the first six months I was takeing lessons at a crappy western stable where they don't even teach you how to trot. Then I started doing beginner lessons at an english stable. I know how to walk, trot, canter, and do 3' jumps, and I really want to move into intermediate lessons and start showing. The thing is, I ride this really strong pony named Pebbles. She's kind of a set-back, because I need to work extra hard to ride her and I don't think I could keep up with the other intermediate riders. It's not that I'm not as experianced, it's that they all have easygoing lesson ponies that will do anything they want, and I'm riding a pony thats more stubborn than a mule.
All the same, it sucks to be the most experianced rider in a beginner lesson and have to wait on the other riders.
What should I do?

NicoleS11 07-29-2009 12:58 PM

keep back in the beginner lessongs. a year and a half isnt that long...

HorseOfCourse 07-29-2009 01:39 PM

I think move on up, not only will it help you get better, but it might even help Pebbles, too.

Spastic_Dove 07-29-2009 03:12 PM

Are you still learning in your beginner lessons? I agree that a year and a half isn't that long especially if the half a year was more or less pony rides from the sounds of it (at the crappy western place).

I'm surprised you're jumping 3' and such after a year of riding, really. Do you think you have it perfected? Personally I like to have everything perfect before I continue to the next level.

PoptartShop 07-29-2009 03:13 PM

Yeah, think moving up to the Intermediate will be more helpful to you. Plus, there's nothing wrong with a little challenge. :D I wouldn't hold myself back, plus, like HOC said, it may help Pebbles too!

cheply 07-29-2009 06:04 PM

Not that I'm any sort of expert, but I'd move on if I were you but I'm the type of person who likes to go as fast as I can through stuff. haha.
I ride privately but if I had to wait as others who were less advanced than me, I'd get pretty bored, I think.

TroubledTB 07-29-2009 07:43 PM

The only way you will know if you are ready is to try. But I still wouldn't call you intermediate, you haven't been riding that long. Also, maybe some of the problems you have with your horse is you. Maybe your pony will let you jump big, but that doesn't mean you are doing it right. Many eager jumpers will give you a false sense of advancement because of their willingness to jump. Just because you jump 3ft doesn't mean your doing it well. Or try doing your beginner lessons bareback, it really makes the simplest things challenging, that's what I did when I wanted to join in a lesson but it wasn't tough enough for me, I throw on the bareback pad and show off ;)

chevaliernr 07-30-2009 02:27 AM

I want to second TroubledTB's bareback idea. I haven't been able to get a horse I can really learn on in a while, so next lesson, I'm just going to do a bareback lesson.

Becca93 07-30-2009 03:30 AM

While I don't think that you are intermediate yet, ask your teacher if you can maybe alternate between the two levels until your confident enough to be competent in the intermediate class.

I don't mean this in an nasty way; but you don't like being held up by the beginners but I wouldn't want to hold up the better riders if I was ready yet either. You have to find that balance!

Is Pebbles your horse or a school horse? Maybe talk to see if you can give another horse a try.

RideroftheWind 07-30-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove (Post 363881)
Are you still learning in your beginner lessons? I agree that a year and a half isn't that long especially if the half a year was more or less pony rides from the sounds of it (at the crappy western place).

I'm surprised you're jumping 3' and such after a year of riding, really. Do you think you have it perfected? Personally I like to have everything perfect before I continue to the next level.

I have perfected 3' with other horses, but only 2'4 with Pebbles. You need to be able to jump 2' to do intermediate classes.