The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Can anyone tell me anything about this saddle and possible worth? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/can-anyone-tell-me-anything-about-327522/)

Karie 12-11-2013 10:55 PM

Can anyone tell me anything about this saddle and possible worth?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
My father bought this saddle in the late 1970's, used. He bought it from a gentleman who raised Arabians and was serious about horses. If anyone can tell me if it is a quality saddle and possible worth.
I think the brand stamp says royal saddle or royal saddlery 055, the seat is 17", cantle 3", swell 7 1/2", cap height 2" width 3", skirt length 24".
Can you tell me what kind of saddle this is, show, pleasure, etc.? Is there a way to know if this is sterling silver?
I can only seem to attach one photo but have others.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

RedAce 12-12-2013 12:18 AM

Oh. My God.
Sorry that I can't offer any help, but I just want to say, that saddle is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous!

trailhorserider 12-12-2013 12:54 AM

It doesn't say Billy Royal, does it? I used to have a black Arabian saddle made by Billy Royal. They used to be a decent brand, I have no idea if they are any more. It seems like there are some cheaper looking Billy Royals out there lately. But in the 80's (and presumably before) I thought they were a quality brand.

It does have the size, shape and look of a older Arabian show saddle. So I would definitely feel comfortable saying its made for Arabians.

That's about all I can suggest though. I'm not sure how to verify the silver is actually silver. I know I had some silver tack (headstall and breast collar) and the silver was marked on the back with the maker's mark and I *think* sterling. But without taking the silver off I don't know how to verify it. There is a lot of "silver" out there though that is not real silver but is still very, very nice.

Hopefully someone else can help. :-)

Cacowgirl 12-12-2013 06:38 AM

Very nice saddle-still looks only slightly used. Are you going to use it or sell it?

Karie 12-12-2013 09:11 AM

It does not say billy royal just royal saddle. I have hade no luck googling that brand. I had a horse when I was a teenager and used this saddle very little, it has not been used since about 1984 and has been stored inside since. I am going to sell it but honestly don't know what to ask for it. I know my dad paid quit a bit for it in 1979.

Karie 12-12-2013 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the brand stamp, very hard to read.

SueNH 12-12-2013 09:25 AM

It's beautiful! I can't add anything about value but the style was very much in fashion when I was young. It's in great shape.

If it were mine you wouldn't be able to pry my fingers from it.