The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Joints Supplements for "Young Horses" (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/joints-supplements-young-horses-327842/)

Brighteyes 12-12-2013 06:26 PM

Joints Supplements for "Young Horses"

I have two mares -- one is 10 and the other is almost 8. The 10-year-old Arabian has "creaky hocks" during warm ups on the lunge, but she isn't worked heavily at the moment (I ride her maybe an hour a week and mostly do groundwork). She was a 50 mile endurance horse when she was younger. I plan on re-conditioning her for endurance starting this summer.

My 8-year-old is currently on "vacation" for a few weeks before show season kicks off again. During spring and fall, she does an average of 8-10 CTRS, 50-60 miles in length. She is ridden fairly hard for about an hour once a week and does heavy "sprint work" once a week as well. She started this whole CTR thing young; LDs when she was four and 50s when she turned five.

Would you start either of these horses on any sort of joint supplement? Injections? Anything to keep them useful and comfortable for as long as possible?

~*~anebel~*~ 12-12-2013 06:28 PM

Adequan
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 12-12-2013 06:35 PM

889 Attachment(s)
Corti Flex with HA as an oral supplement. And Pentosan for an IM injection. My mare is on this combination and it does amazing things for her.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brighteyes 12-12-2013 06:37 PM

Do you guys do IM injections before you start noticing actual "problems", like as a preventative? (The only evidence I've seen of arthritis in either horse is possibly my Arabian's clicking hocks.)

I will look up Corti Flex. :wink:

CLaPorte432 12-12-2013 06:51 PM

889 Attachment(s)
If the hocks are clicking, you already have arthritis going on. Its no longer being used as a "preventative" measure...Its a comfort management.

My mare is only 6, a horrific injury caused her arthritis. But regardless, she would have been on supplements or something because she was going into hard training.

My other horses, including those in no/minimal work also get a supplement as a preventative. They are aging and its much healthier for them when your on top of arthritis. Once they get it, its a downward slide. Keeping the joints healthy, keeps the horse healthy.

I do not however go to injections until I need to. So I start with oral supplements and work my way upwards. ThenI'll add IM injections when needed. and eventually, my girl may need hock injections, but I don't want to go there yet.

Pentosan and Adequan are great products though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brighteyes 12-12-2013 06:57 PM

What's the cost of these treatments? :oops: College student problems; cost is always an issue. A year of oral joint supplementation versus a year's worth of IM treatments? Which is most effective?

I don't want to go for hock injections until I have to... I've heard the steroids degrade the cartilage?

PaintHorseMares 12-12-2013 07:18 PM

Have you talked to your vet? Both the vets around here that I know say that clicking/popping hocks are not unusually at all, and if there is no lameness or swelling there is probably nothing to worry about.

BarrelRacingLvr 12-12-2013 08:14 PM

I HIGHLY recommend Tight Joints Plus! It is such an amazing product, I use it on both my barrel horses (one as mainenence and the other has some hock issues). Great product that has gotten great results!

Equine Joint Supplements | Auburn, WA

swimminchikin 12-12-2013 08:20 PM

I've been using Smart Pak's joint supplements on my gelding. He's only 11, but he started getting stiff around 9. We started out on the low scale and worked our way up. He's currently on their Smartflex III and it seems to help him.

~*~anebel~*~ 12-12-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighteyes (Post 4294266)
What's the cost of these treatments? :oops: College student problems; cost is always an issue. A year of oral joint supplementation versus a year's worth of IM treatments? Which is most effective?

I don't want to go for hock injections until I have to... I've heard the steroids degrade the cartilage?

IM Adequan is going to be by far the most effective, as has been proven by study after study. Oral supplements simply don't work. MSM has widely been shown to have benefit and that's it!

If you're going to do an oral supp, a high quality one will be over $100/mo which is comparable to 2 rounds of Adequan per year. As per manufacturers recommendations - Adequan is not to be done monthly. A "round" consist of 7 injections, one every 4 days.
But yes, talk to your vet. IMO every performance horse over 6, and some younger ones, needs support to perform at the top!
Posted via Mobile Device