The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgans

7K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  MTcowgirl 
#1 ·
Anybody here have morgans? I'm looking into my co workers morgan. I know some can gait and others cant. Post your pictures and tell me a bit about the breed.

#2 ·
We have two Morgans, Brunk and Government lines.

Hadley our 16 year old, looks like and retains Flyhawks noticeable springy gait. He has Sentana, Panfield Orcland Leader among other great names on his papers. He is classic Morgan in conformation and is below 15 hands.

Pepe is 13 years old and taller at 15 hands. He shows more of the Saddlebred influence. Pepe gaits a single foot. He has Porvenir B Pepe top and bottom, Highland Gay Bonny, Windcrest Bob B, Triton Black Watch. He is a 'in your pocket' horse.

Both are tireless, surefooted and extremely easy keepers. Both are our Posse horses used for special events and crowd control. Of course they are seasoned trail horses.

#3 ·
Yep i have one, rowdy <3 they are versital, great horses. They do good in almost every horse riding sport (jumping, gymkhana, saddleseat, buggie, roadster,) just very good horses. Rwdy has a best personality, and all the morgan i have riden/met all have fare tempered personalitys. I used to show and work at a all morgan stable. i have never found a morgan to be meen, or agressize.

Attachments

#5 ·
You need to make up your mind. Is it Morgan..part Morgan..part Friessian or Friesian (as you stated in your last post in the jumping forum).

Your horse is a grade horse with possible Morgan crossed with "something" else.

Every post has a different story and those "stories" were your downfall on HGS.

#4 ·
I had a Morgan/ QH pony. He was 18 and a complete jumping and dressage schoolmaster. Just what I needed at 10 years old. He was the best pony I had/have ever sat on. I miss Peter Pan :(. I also ride another Morgan/ QH cross named Sweet Pea. She's awesome and very even tempered.

Morgans are one of the most versatile breeds in the world. You ask 'em, and they will try their hardest to please you. And they usually suceed!

#7 ·
I am currently working with a Friesian/Morgan, but in the past have worked with many Morgans. If you want a breed that can do anything and are gentle but can be energetic when needed to be, that's the breed.

That's Razz, she's such a good girl.

#9 ·
i had a morgan/arab gelding that was amazin! he was put down in April

If your ever looking for a super cowy awesome little morgan horse in BC google Tom Noble and Noble T Morgans. I sent my gelding to Tom and he is an amazing trainer with some AMAZING little horses! i would die to have one of his mares.

Attachments

#11 ·
You can have a Morgan look fiery in a Saddle seat class and then send in a class for disabled people and it will be the most docile horse in the arena. They're great horses.

#12 · (Edited)
Horse Halter Bridle Rein Animal sports
This is Nate warming up at a show.

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Stallion Mare
This is my first Morgan, Fox.

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Pasture Stallion
Striker, a coming 2yr old in this picture.

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Mane Mare
My most recent addition, Dove and her new colt Ty.

I am currently riding Nate, but have since sold Fox and Striker. I plan on breaking Dove to ride this winter after we wean the colt. Dove is 4yrs old and Nate is 5yrs old.

#14 ·
CRL Raphael is a Registered Morgan that my friend showed. He was about 13. He did everything well. Showmanship, trail, speed events, jumping, Saddle Seat, Hunt Seat, Western, even leadline. He was an awesome horse. He just recently died in a barn fire. He took two people all the way to the top in 4H and Morgan shows and was working on his third. Mearrha {my friend who showed him} Got Grand Champion in Saddle Seat pls. on him at the state 4H horse show.

#15 ·
Now, obviously Drummer isn't the greatest representative of the Morgan breed, but he's a champion. When he was younger he took my RI to many national shows and she received tons of Grand Champions and blue ribbons on him. He's now teaching beginners how to ride and to take charge of their horses and is a favorite among everybody in the barn.

His mane is all curly because it was just upbraided.

#16 ·
What are the characteristics that stand out that would help me tell a Morgan apart from any other breed? (just curious and trying to learn!)

#18 ·
Go to morganhorse.com and you will find a wealth of information there. In short (not a pun), they are curvy beautiful horses, they have big poppy eyes with a slightly dished face (obviously not all have this). To people who are not familiar with Morgans I tell them they have the beauty of an Arabian with the substance and brains of a quarter horse. They are not super big horses, but they are breeding them bigger all the time. Unfortunately, with the added size we are losing the Morgan type.

#19 ·
Ps..I absolutely ADORE Dove!!!!

#20 ·
Thank you! I can't wait to see what is under all the blubber. I traded Striker for her (strike was 4 when i made the trade) and didn't know she was in foal. So I have only seen this mare looking like a whale. She isn't broke or anything, actually the only thing she knows more than her foal about is leading, lol. She seems to have a wonderful disposition, which is why I chose her over any of the younger stock. I will def. have more pics of her come spring when she is broke to ride!

#22 ·
One of the horses my daughter rides at lessons is a Morgan. I'm not a pro by any means, but from what I can see they are excellent teaching horses and seem to just go with the flow. Someone could be riding earlier in the day that is very experienced, later in the day they put a beginner on and they are totally fine w/that too, this horse appears to be verrrrry versatile, oh and BTW has the sweetest disposition I have ever seen. :D

#24 ·
My Morgans

Here are a few pictures of my morgans. I just love this breed of horse. They are smart and very willing. They do have a lot of go, and can be hot at times. Depending on the breeding of the morgan you are looking at. If your co-workers morgan is older breeding the horse will be more than likely be quite. I have had a few diff types of morgans. Most morgans that I have been around that have the Noble Flaire line tend to be very HOT and can be hard horses to work and or train.(Had one and been down that road) I have an old line morgan with funquest breeding and he is hot, but very smart and trainable. He has lots of go go go for 20 but I can put anyone on him. I also own a UVM bred horse that I LOVE!! He is so cool, has a great personality and way smart. He is one of my best show horses. Morgans are able to do any type of riding. They have big hearts and share a bond with their owner/rider. I think you would be very happy with a morgan. I own 3 right now and a paint horse and I will say I would rather ride my morgan then the paint.

* I bought the picture taken by Casey Mcbride, just haven't got it in the mail yet.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.