The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horses for Sale (/horses-sale/)
-   -   Importing A Horse From Canada? (

Liberty Valance 07-30-2009 12:50 AM

Importing A Horse From Canada?
I've been shopping for another horse all summer. Man, there are a lotta ugly horses out there. :shock: lol It's for my husband and he's really picky about color and body type. We've found quite a few horses stateside that we've inquired about, but for one reason or another they haven't worked out. They've either been sold, the seller lied about the horse's training, bad conformation...or the horse has been drugged when we got there. While viewing ads online I've seen some really nice horses that fit our wants very well...only problem is they're in Canada.

I tried to Google the laws on importing a horse from Canada, but of course what it looks like on paper and what it is in real life can be 2 different things. Has anyone here ever imported a horse from Canada? (I don't live that far from Quebec or Ontario.)

cheply 08-01-2009 09:11 PM

Maybe you should call the border... or talk to a lawyer in that field..

MacabreMikolaj 08-02-2009 11:10 AM

It's really not a big deal at all. They would require official vet work papers, and you'll need to contact the border to make sure exactly what vaccinations are required for a horse to enter the US (Coggins is always neccesary).

After that, what you need to remember is you're going to get hit HARD by duty. It's still considered a sale item, so if you come to Canada for one day to pick it up, you're going to get nailed with that whole "anything over $100" nonsense.

Definately, I'd contact the border though and find out the specifics. I know it's a little different, but Shay-la bought a miniature from the US with her mom, and all they needed was the required vet work. Heck, it came back in their truck with them. I was reading a document that states some specific animals need permits and quarantines though, so definately contact. It may have changed since they brought the mini back with them.

masatisan 08-02-2009 04:13 PM

What kind of horse is he looking for? (Sorry, kind of off topic but I'm curious)

I remember my barn owner telling me it took 4000$ and four months of paperwork to ship a filly to France, but that's France, there's an ocean between us. Next time I go to the barn I'll ask him about exporting horses to the U.S.

WSArabians 08-07-2009 11:37 PM

A coggins test and duty tax. That's it.
Everybody SSHHH when you read this, but I used to write a bill of sale for REALLY cheap if they bought an expensive horse so they didn't have to pay the government for the horse they bought from ME. :D

And don't forget to get a photocopy of the registration papers (if it's papered) cause when you transfer it to the American registeries, they will keep the Canadian ones, or vice versa.

westonsma 08-10-2009 12:12 PM

What kind of horse are you looking for?

Bar N K 08-19-2009 02:29 AM

It's not that bad actually.

You will need a current Coggins, International Health Papers and a Canadian Declaration for from the CFIA. This is just a declaration that the USDA signs and stamp at the time of crossing incase you ever take him/her back into Canada for showing, training or if you move here. That way you are relieved from paying some taxes when you cross back into Canada.

But remember the Coggins is only good for 6 months, so you'd have to get a whole new set of papers done in the US. And for goodness sake, don't loose the

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome