The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   My 2yr old keeps on gettng injured (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/my-2yr-old-keeps-gettng-injured-32871/)

HayleyDale 07-31-2009 06:35 AM

My 2yr old keeps on gettng injured

for the last 3 nyts ive got my 2yr old in from the field hes came in with cuts one on his leg one on his neck ond one on his face i dont understand how hes gettin them as there isnt anythink he can do it on and its not a cut done by the horse he is out with as the cuts are to fine they are lines not gashes i dont understand why he keeps getting them im finking of separating him in his own in a field to see if it resolves it am i best doing that or shall i just leave him where he is?? :?

welshpony15 07-31-2009 07:33 AM

Have you double checked all the fences and gone through the paddock a few times to make certain there is nothing he could scratch himself on? How about tree branches? Just ideas.. not sure if trees could actually do that or not :S , lol.

If you are concerned with the scratches then I do suggest moving him to a new paddock (just for awhile, as it should give you an indication of whether its something in his old paddock thats causing it, be that inanimate or horsie). At least then you may be able to pin point the cause, and hopefully fix it.

Sorry, thats my only suggestion! Either that, or leave him in his paddock but keep a close eye on them and see if any more arise.

ChingazMyBoy 07-31-2009 07:33 AM

Is there any loose wire on the fence? Maybe he is trying to get under a fence or over and cutting himself.

HayleyDale 07-31-2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChingazMyBoy (Post 365428)
Is there any loose wire on the fence? Maybe he is trying to get under a fence or over and cutting himself.

nah its post and rail fence no wire.

HayleyDale 07-31-2009 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welshpony15 (Post 365427)
Have you double checked all the fences and gone through the paddock a few times to make certain there is nothing he could scratch himself on? How about tree branches? Just ideas.. not sure if trees could actually do that or not :S , lol.

If you are concerned with the scratches then I do suggest moving him to a new paddock (just for awhile, as it should give you an indication of whether its something in his old paddock thats causing it, be that inanimate or horsie). At least then you may be able to pin point the cause, and hopefully fix it.

Sorry, thats my only suggestion! Either that, or leave him in his paddock but keep a close eye on them and see if any more arise.

theres no trees or anythink which is why i dont understand it ive checked his paddock over thorughly and theres nothing lol ill just have to see what he cums in like tonight hopefully no more have appeared :?

HayleyDale 07-31-2009 10:58 AM

thankyou every1 for ur opinions.

JadedEyes 07-31-2009 04:23 PM

I had the same problem with my horse. Everytime I went out to see him, he had a new cut or scab, etc. My horse is pretty low on the totem pole and was being beat up by the other horses. But now things are starting to settle down and I don't see nearly as many cuts or bite marks on him. It could just be that. Make sure you get stock in neosporene. Hehe...good luck finding the culprit.

dressagebelle 07-31-2009 09:24 PM

I had a mare who was kept in a stall with neighbors, but no other horses in with her, and she was forever hurting her legs getting cuts, scrapes, punctures, ect., and there wasn't anything in the stall that I ever found that would cause the injuries. She was in a pipe corral, she just somehow managed to hit something just right that she'd cut herself up. She didn't like where she was and that was her way of showing it. I even switched her and my gelding, and she did the same things in his stall. Honestly i'd say if there isn't anything you can find, and he's not severely cutting himself, then just leave it be, and get lots of betadine, and clean him up when you bring him in. Also I'd recommend gal salve, to help keep the hair its original color instead of coming back in white, or not coming back in at all.

PaintHorseMares 07-31-2009 10:01 PM

A wise old horse friend once told me that a horse can get hurt in a padded stall :-)
But seriously, our mares get little scrapes and cuts all the time, especially in the summer when they are sweaty and the bugs are out from rubbing, branches, their hooves chasing flys, fence posts, ....anything (1000 lbs rubbing on the corner of a piece of wood will make a scratch). If it's not bleeding, just leave it, or a little betadine and neosprorin.
Our mare, Lady, got a 30 stitch cut on her flank a few years ago in a paddock. My wife, the vet, and I checked every inch of that fence and never found anything sharp and not even any hair or blood.
It's one of the mysteries of owning horses.

HayleyDale 08-03-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares (Post 366041)
A wise old horse friend once told me that a horse can get hurt in a padded stall :-)
But seriously, our mares get little scrapes and cuts all the time, especially in the summer when they are sweaty and the bugs are out from rubbing, branches, their hooves chasing flys, fence posts, ....anything (1000 lbs rubbing on the corner of a piece of wood will make a scratch). If it's not bleeding, just leave it, or a little betadine and neosprorin.
Our mare, Lady, got a 30 stitch cut on her flank a few years ago in a paddock. My wife, the vet, and I checked every inch of that fence and never found anything sharp and not even any hair or blood.
It's one of the mysteries of owning horses.

any ideas where i can get that neosporin from?