The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Should I shoe or not? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/should-i-shoe-not-329106/)

Meadow 12-15-2013 05:22 PM

Should I shoe or not?

I have been wondering this for a while. Some say not to, some say you need to. But it is rather expensive and I know it really depends on your ground, but will it help or cause problems down the road?

Inga 12-15-2013 05:28 PM

Some horses need shoes, most don't. It of course depends on your horse and what you are doing with him or her. Are you riding a lot? What type of terrain? Is your horse sound without shoes? If the answer to the last question is yes and your farrier and vet see no reason why you should shoe then keep him/her barefoot.

I know that there are some folks that have strong opinions on barefoot only horses but I always put the horse before my opinion. What does your horse need? It is a very good chance he/she won't need shoes but again, vet and farrier will let you know that. For that matter, your horse will let you know if they are needed or not.

Meadow 12-15-2013 05:53 PM

Thank you for your help!

Ninamebo 12-15-2013 06:06 PM

If you need them, you need them. If not, then don't. I've noticed that many people shoe their horses just for their own piece of mind, and in turn the horse suffers for it. Why do you feel that you need to make the decision? Something change about your horse? Lame? New discipline? These all play a factor. Personally, I believe the majority of horses can do their job better barefoot, but I do also see the need for shoes in certain circumstances.

PaintHorseMares 12-15-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inga (Post 4311658)
For that matter, your horse will let you know if they are needed or not.

This is the bottom line. Your vet and farrier can give you an opinion, but you'll never know until you actually try barefoot.

Ninamebo 12-15-2013 06:32 PM

Peace**

Grammar errors bug me so I must correct myself.

Skyseternalangel 12-15-2013 07:01 PM

My rule is barefoot unless they need support. Only your horse will know if they need more support, but the farrier can guide you into some decisions.

churumbeque 12-15-2013 07:20 PM

My horse has great hooves and I ride in soft terrain so I have not used shoes but I took a lesson and the instructor suggested shoes to help my horse break over better and she did move much more balanced with shoes.

Meadow 12-15-2013 07:46 PM

Thanks everyone. If it helps, she is a 14 y/o Arab mare.

Trinity Ridge 12-15-2013 07:50 PM

i use shoes. but we do alot of trail riding in rocky conditions. some riding on asphalt. and 3/4 weighted shoes on the front of my gelding makes him gait better.

this time of yr. im only riding for short periods around the farm, no rough surphaces .... i had the farrier pull the shoes. it gives the hooves a break. around march they will go back on.