The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   flatwork (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/flatwork-32948/)

savvylover112 08-01-2009 01:17 PM

flatwork

Hi everyone

My mare is getting a bit fed up of jumping work and i was wondering does anyone have any ideas for flatwork stuff to keep her interesting in her work??

ps she is easily bored:-|

1dog3cats17rodents 08-01-2009 01:18 PM

Circles EVERYwhere, serpentines, transistions every few steps, roll backs, leg yieldsfigureeights, cavaletti's, work on lengthening and shortening strides, etc.

Scoutrider 08-01-2009 01:25 PM

There are lots of flatwork options out there. I do large figure 8's, "hourglasses" across the diagonal, 3 and 5 loop serpentines, ride the rail and do a circle in each corner, sometimes I just do random "squigglies": loops and circles. Figure 8 shortways (ride up the centerline as the touching-center-point of your 8 ). Riding squares can help switch it up, too.

Leg yield from the quarter line to the rail and back again, lots of transitions within each figure.

Good old fashioned trail rides, long or short, do wonders for bored horses. Even riding around the rail outside the arena can get them interested again. :D

Ahsisi 08-01-2009 09:05 PM

Lots of lengthening and shortening, transitions, ...doing some work up the center line of the arena is good for them...works on keeping them straight without a wall on one side...bending, counter bending...,have fun...flat work is sooo much fun when you put more into it than just w, t, c

chevaliernr 08-01-2009 10:01 PM

In addition to all the above, counter-canter, leg-yield across the diagonal (one of my favorite exercises is picking up the counter-canter, leg-yielding diagonally across the arena, and switching directions so you end up on the right lead), turn on the haunches, turn on the forehand, trot/canter poles.

Ahsisi 08-03-2009 01:45 PM

chevaliernr- I LOVE that exercise!!! =) So fun and sooo good for balance.

savvylover112 09-20-2009 04:44 PM

bumping this up :D

xxBarry Godden 09-25-2009 07:08 AM

1/ Set a time with a clock for a trot or a canter or a walk around the arena. Agree the optimum time. Then try to do it again in exactly the same time.

2/ Find the slowest time you can canter around the arena without breaking into trot or walk.

PS Set up some bollards so that the length of the circle is the same each time.

Barry G

ChingazMyBoy 09-25-2009 07:12 AM

You've got some great ideas!

Let us know how you go!

kated 09-25-2009 11:31 AM

I agree with everyone.
My horse was the same way he got bored very easy. Try riding in a field too instead of the ring. I also did trail rides and worked him then too. They get sick of the ring. I know I did too.