The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   What cinch do you like best for western pleasure riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/what-cinch-do-you-like-best-32949/)

ridesapaintedpony 08-01-2009 01:04 PM

What cinch do you like best for western pleasure riding?

Specifics, please. Do you like felt, neoprene, mohair? Which ones and why? TIA.

ZippoNDixon 08-01-2009 08:20 PM

My preference would be a neoprene (which is basically rubber, right?). I've never had it rub or cause harm underneath, and it is very easy to clean! :)

Tennessee 08-01-2009 09:37 PM

Weaver Neoprene Smart Cinch.

RoCru 08-02-2009 12:10 PM

I was lookin' at a Neoprene cinch the other day. I'm thinking of tryin' one out.

Qtswede 08-02-2009 04:36 PM

I've got a weaver neoprene smart cinch, just like Tennesee ;D It stays put. That's why I use it. You dont have to cinch as tightly because it won't slip. Otherwise, I do like a mohair string roper style cinch. seems to work just about as well.

dashygirl 08-03-2009 12:39 AM

I seem to have bad luck with neoprene. So I use felt. I've never tried mohair, though it looks very comfortable! I like that felt is soft and it has some give and cushion. Not saying neoprene doesn't, I would like to think that felt is softer, therefore more comfortable. That's all.

Scoutrider 08-03-2009 07:30 AM

I have a mohair Weaver SmartCinch, and I love it! It breathes wonderfully, I can ride for ages and my horse barely sweats up under it. The SmartCinch buckle just plain makes life easier, ha ha. The thing is that it's tricky to keep clean and hair free, but that's kind of the nature of a mohair cinch. I like the neoprene cinches, they really stay put, but in my experience the horses really sweat up under them.

ridesapaintedpony 08-03-2009 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoutrider (Post 367659)
but in my experience the horses really sweat up under them.

That's what I worry about too.

Qtswede 08-03-2009 11:13 PM

Have you ever worn a wet suit? If you have, that's the same, in my eyes, as using a neoprene cinch. It looks worse than it is. ;)

ridesapaintedpony 08-05-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtswede (Post 368535)
Have you ever worn a wet suit? If you have, that's the same, in my eyes, as using a neoprene cinch. It looks worse than it is. ;)

No, actually I haven't. :D

Thanks everyone.