The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Poor guy can't get a break. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/poor-guy-cant-get-break-33010/)

NordicJuniper 08-02-2009 01:43 AM

Poor guy can't get a break.

Well Junior, the horse that I call mine [he really belongs to my friend eventerwannabe. I was riding him a lot the last year though. Once he is better we will probably go back to sharing him], just can't seem to get a break in life.

He is a VERY hard keeper and won't hold weight for us. We put him on beet pulp and supplements and grain. Well because it is summer the feed was too rich for him we believe. [He was on even more in the winter and was fine.]

The farrier was out the other day and said the reason he is off in his right fore is because he has developed minor laminitis. We have pulled him off his feed because we believe that is what caused it and have pulled him out of riding work. We caught it very early and there is high hopes that he will make a full and nice recovery.

Now the problem is, we can't put him back on the beet pulp because that is what is causing the laminitis. Because of this he is going to drop even more weight and not weigh enough.

So tips please! Tips on what to do, what to feed him, etc.! Any and all help is welcome!

MyBoyPuck 08-02-2009 12:17 PM

Maybe you can substitute Timothy Hay cubes for the beet pulp? Also, is his grain low starch? There are a number of good low starch options out there for hard keepers. I'm feeding my hard keeper Blue Seal Performance LS. 12% fat, low starch. Rice bran is also good for weight gain. I don't think that has any downside where laminitis is concerned.

NordicJuniper 08-02-2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 367033)
Maybe you can substitute Timothy Hay cubes for the beet pulp? Also, is his grain low starch? There are a number of good low starch options out there for hard keepers. I'm feeding my hard keeper Blue Seal Performance LS. 12% fat, low starch. Rice bran is also good for weight gain. I don't think that has any downside where laminitis is concerned.

Thanks MyBoyPuck. I will look into those types of feeds. I haven't been out to see him for a while. Hopefully I can get out there next week sometime.