The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   How often do you clean your mare's udders? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-often-do-you-clean-your-33035/)

CloudsMystique 08-02-2009 02:56 PM

How often do you clean your mare's udders?

I had heard that you're supposed to clean them every six months, but I have to clean my mare's every week, and every week they look like they haven't been cleaned in a year. That isn't normal, is it?

Jillyann 08-02-2009 03:00 PM

Hmm, I am not sure if that is normal. I just clean my mares when ever I give her a bath. Usually a few times a year.

kitten_Val 08-02-2009 03:25 PM

I start cleaning about every couple weeks May - Sept. Some times they are rather clean, some times like I didn't clean for months. :D I think it depends a lot on a weather too.

tempest 08-02-2009 04:18 PM

I've done it once since I started riding her, and when I did she gave me a "What in the world are you doing?" look.

Walkamile 08-02-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 367170)
I start cleaning about every couple weeks May - Sept. Some times they are rather clean, some times like I didn't clean for months. :D I think it depends a lot on a weather too.

Have to agree!

luvs2ride1979 08-02-2009 08:22 PM

It just depends on how much oils they produce in their skin and what kind of living conditions they're in. If you're in a dusty area and she sweats a lot or produces a lot of oils on her skin, then she's going to get "gunky" more quickly.

I check my mare every time and groom her and clean as needed. I'll just pull/rub gunk off with my hands. When I give her a bath, I'll use soap. Using too much soap or sheath cleaner can actually make her skin produce more oils, so you might try just cleaning her with water for a while if you normally use soap.

Appyt 08-02-2009 11:55 PM

The mares here like their udders cleaned whenever a person will do it. Scratching/rubbing between them gets a thank you any day.

dashygirl 08-03-2009 12:17 AM

I do it about once every 2 weeks. But I live in AZ where my girls are sweating a lot and are exposed to a lot of dust, therefore making them dirtier more often. All horses are different, sounds like your mare just likes to get herself dirty. :D

riccil0ve 08-03-2009 12:40 AM

I'm with luvs2ride. I rub or pick the gunk out of my girls' udders every time I groom them. They both love it. My filly's udders get a lot grosser than my mare's does, but I'm sure that has a lot to do with the fact that Ricci has had two babies and her teats are pointed out, where as Gracie's are all close and snug in between her legs.

CloudsMystique 08-03-2009 04:52 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I just use water, not soap.

And to the people who asked if I live in a dusty place... it rains every afternoon here and is extremely humid all the time : /