The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Skito & Thinline pads (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/skito-thinline-pads-33043/)

CiscoKidd 08-02-2009 04:00 PM

Skito & Thinline pads

Hi everyone-

I am currently using a centaur half pad on top of a regular saddle pad. Though I feel like that combination is too thick. I originally got a half pad because my trainer said my saddle needed a bit more of a lift in the back, and because I wanted more cushioning for my horse. Therefore; I have been exploring different pads to go on top of my regular pad. I found the Skito and Thinline half pads. Does anyone know if the Skito pad compromises saddle fit? From what I have read, both pads are excellent... though I'm thinking the thinline might not give enough "rise" to the back of my saddle. I would appreciate any thoughts on either pad.

Skito-
Tack - Saddle Pads - Correction Saddle Pads - Skito Correction Pad - Build your own! - Arete Equestrian - Half Chaps, Skito & Supracor Saddle Pads... - (Powered by CubeCart)

Thinline-
ThinLine Half Pad - Horse Rider Performance Saddle Pads - ThinLine

Thank You! :-)

mudypony 08-02-2009 04:04 PM

I have the Thinline Trifecta pad and it is absolutely my favorite pad in the world! It really does keep both me and my horse comfortable throughout our rides. Although I agree that it probably won't give you the "rise" in the back of your saddles.

CiscoKidd 08-02-2009 04:09 PM

thanks for the reply! The half pad i use now provides enough "lift" I'm just not sure if it's too thick. The trifecta pad looks amazing...how thick is it?

mudypony 08-02-2009 04:24 PM

Its not very thick at all. Although they do make inserts now for the Trifecta pad. You can choose from two different thicknesses for both the front and rear. It is a very well made pad and is definately worth your money. Also, remember that Thinline makes their pads so they don't affect saddle fit which sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

Here's the Trifecta pad...

Trifecta: Cotton Ultra Half Pad w/sheepskin rolls - Horse Rider Performance Saddle Pads - ThinLine

CiscoKidd 08-02-2009 06:58 PM

alright--- i think you have me sold on the trifecta! :lol:

now i'm debating whether or not the shims would make much of a difference and whether to get it in white or black!

thank you for your help!

mudypony 08-03-2009 08:57 AM

Trust me once you start using Thinline you'll never stop. After I bought my Trifecta I also got the schooling open front boots and found an ultra thinline pad for $10 at a used tack store, and I still want more of their products!

For the color, I personally would choose white (especially if you're going to show). You said that you would be using a square pad underneath also which would keep the Trifecta pad clean. I have the white one and I'm so glad I chose it. It looks really nice for shows and I pair it with a baby pad for schooling to keep it clean. I've only had to was it once and it really washed up well. I eventually would love to save up for a black one also because I have some cute baby pads that it would looks excellent with.

Also, I say go ahead and get the risers. It's only $15 so if it doesn't work you won't be wasting much money.

Make sure to post pics of your horse tacked up in his awesome new saddle pad!! :D

SouthernTrails 08-03-2009 10:39 AM

Cisco,

I would give Barbara a call, she not only sells both of the pads you mentioned, but uses them on her Horses, I could not think of a better person to help you with these or have knowledge of them and other brands that would work best :D

Tack - Saddle Pads - Arete Equestrian - Half Chaps, Skito & Supracor Saddle Pads... - (Powered by CubeCart)

CiscoKidd 08-03-2009 10:44 AM

Ok, I'll get the shims as well. One more question (sorry!) do you have the thinline or ultra thinline? Here's the one I'm looking at---

TL Trifecta All Cotton Half Pad and Half Pads with Saddle Fit Adjustment*|*EQUESTRIAN COLLECTIONS.COM

thanks! :D

SouthernTrails 08-03-2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CiscoKidd (Post 367763)
Ok, I'll get the shims as well. One more question (sorry!) do you have the thinline or ultra thinline? Here's the one I'm looking at---

TL Trifecta All Cotton Half Pad and Half Pads with Saddle Fit Adjustment*|*EQUESTRIAN COLLECTIONS.COM

thanks! :D

Cisco,

Sorry, I do not sell them, just ran in to someone a while back who was very knowledgeable at the Arete Co link in posted

luvs2ride1979 08-03-2009 11:18 AM

The ThinLine shims are only 1/4" thick, so they do not provide much "lift" at all. They work well if you need just a very slight adjustment, but it sounds like you may need more than that. The Ultra TL Trifecta pad does not provide very much "cushion".

The Skito Correction Saddle pad will not compromise saddle fit if you go with the 1/2" base foam. It's firm memory foam and your saddle will "settle" in to it when you get on and warm up. It will "squish" down to about 1/4" thick, which will not alter your saddle fit (it's made to perform well when compressed to 50% of its original thickness). The shims can be ordered in 1/2" or 3/4" thick, depending on your saddle fit. The shims are a bit firmer, so they don't squish down as easily. You can send in pictures of your horse and saddle (no pad) and they will choose the shims that will work best.

Skito pads are very shock absorbing, really breathable, and very comfy for the horse. I have both Skito and ThinLine pads for my horses, and the Skito pads work best, hands down, for saddle fit issues.