The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Spaying mares?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/spaying-mares-33050/)

smrobs 08-02-2009 05:46 PM

Spaying mares??

My brother mentioned something last night that I had never thought of. Have any of you ever been around a spayed mare? He has a grade filly that will eventually be the horse for his newborn daughter and he said something about spaying her to keep her temperment more even for a young rider since he never plans to breed her. I knew that they were spaying cattle now but never thought about doing it to a horse. What are ya'lls thoughts on this? Is it a sensible idea? Will it really help her temperment?

Jillyann 08-02-2009 07:03 PM

I have thought about that, but never really did any serious looking into it. I am curious to know what other people have to say.

appylover31803 08-02-2009 07:07 PM

I would love to spay Vega (one less mare to pass on the hypp gene) but I've heard it's quite expensive and a major surgery, and I'd be a bit hesitant to want to put her under just to have a calmer attitude (if that is even true). I never looked into thoroughly though.

I sure as heck know it didn't calm down my parents' female lab's attitude!

AlmagroN 08-02-2009 08:26 PM

yeah its no surefire way to calm an attitude or even a temperment. it is very costly, and its risky.... i would rather use hormones like regumate or get a marble (both of which we have done)

kitten_Val 08-02-2009 11:14 PM

I know it's done on some mares, but only if there is a health reason for that (being moody or marish is NOT a good reason. Lol!). And usually it's suggested by vet. I personally never met one, which was spayed.

Brighteyes 08-02-2009 11:22 PM

Here's an arcticle that you may find helpful:

http://www.horsekeeping.com/horse_ma...payed_mare.htm

Qtswede 08-02-2009 11:49 PM

It can be done, but it is quite expensive, and as stated above - risky. Somethings are just better left to less invasive methods, I think. Having said that, if it were affordable, and as safe as it is to have dogs or cats spayed, my lead mare would be first in line, as far as I'm concerned. I think just about any surgery that goes into the abdominal cavity for horses is way to risky for me. But, well, that's me.

smrobs 08-03-2009 01:10 AM

That is an awesome article Brighteyes, thank you. I will print it off and give it to my brother. All of the heifers we get each year are spayed and they do them vaginally and we usually have to watch them close for several days because it is done just before we receive them. I don't know if we have a vet anywhere close that could do that or not. If he gets it done at all, it will be done vaginally. He and I feel the same about unnecessary invasive procedures. But then again, she may be one of those mares who has very mild heats. We will just have to wait and see, she has not been started under saddle yet (I think she is 5 this year).

Keep the opinions coming, I appreciate the input and will definitely pass it on.