The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   My little one is Murphy's Law on hooves! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/my-little-one-murphys-law-hooves-33074/)

riccil0ve 08-03-2009 12:24 AM

My little one is Murphy's Law on hooves!

For anyone who doesn't know, Murphy's Law is the theory that anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Guess what my adorable almost-yearling filly did tonight?

I was hosing Gracie off in the wash rack. She's kinda moving back and forth like she usually does [something we need to work on] and all of a sudden, I hear this SPLASH and then Gracie is kicking her left hind like mad, and bouncing around on three legs. I saw that the drain was out of the floor, leaving a hole about 8 to 10" deep and 5" in diameter. And then I see my drain stuck around my poor girls pastern.

It took me about five seconds to calm her down and stand still. I walked her out of the wash rack, well, she kinda wobbled on three legs, and tied her up outside, and tried to take the drain off her leg. But no. I can't. It's stuck. It was plastic, so she just bent the grid pieces, and once her hoof went through, the pieces bent back.

So I'm totally panicked, worried she cut her leg up, there would be some kind of permanent damage, I would have to call a vet out to sedate her so I could cut the stupid thing off, etc etc. But instead, I call my mom, who always has the answer to everything, and she came to the barn. And my mom, being the voice of reason that she is, said to break the plastic pieces off until I make a big enough hole for Gracie's foot to fit through. Why didn't I think of that? Oh right, I was panicked, and couldn't think straight. o_O

It just figures that it breaks under my maybe 300lb filly, when my 1500lb monster Paint mare has been stepping on the stupid thing for YEARS. And this was just one of many minor incidents. She isn't registered yet, and I was planning on having her registered name be Goodness Gracious, but now I'm thinking Murphy's Law would be much more suitable.

Anywho, just wanted to share. And for kicks, this is my Gracie, about a week ago. I would have gotten a picture of the drain on her foot, but my phone was dead and I didn't have my camera.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...ccil0ve/34.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...ccil0ve/33.jpg

Oh, PS. Gracie came away from her drain-meets-foot ordeal unscathed. =]

LeahKathleen 08-03-2009 12:33 AM

Bahahaha. Sounds like something my Joey would do. He is the definition of Murphy's Law. When he was a yearling, I had him boarded at this one stable, right next to his Momma. The stalls didn't go all the way to the ground, they just had wooden "fence" between them. He lays down I guess to sleep one night, and the next morning I get a call that he's stuck under the fence between the two stalls, and trying to stand up, and that he broke a board.

We had to unscrew the board he was under to get him out. It was ridiculous. Only him.

He's three now and just a few days ago I brought him in to groom and there's a red wire saltblock holder - in his tail. Not sure how he managed that.

riccil0ve 08-03-2009 12:33 AM

Haha, well I'm glad I'm not the only one!

LeahKathleen 08-03-2009 12:37 AM

Also wanted to say that your little girl is pretty! Her pasterns seem to haven straightened out a good bit since the last pictures you posted, I think. That's good. I hope she grows into them all the way. Even as they are right now, they shouldn't hinder her too much, I was worried about her in the last pics your posted.

:] Pretty bay. I don't usually like bays, but she's pretty.

riccil0ve 08-03-2009 12:48 AM

Funny you should mention not liking bays. I don't like them either. But I got one, haha.

I figured she would grow into them. After looking at Ricci's baby pictures, I saw she had pasterns that looked very similar to Gracie's. Gracie won't get as big, but I wasn't particularly worried about them. =]

smrobs 08-03-2009 12:57 AM

Haha. Murphy's Law is alive and kicking all over the horse world. Tonight my mule Tiny tried to walk through the fence and ended up with pig wire behind his front legs up to his belly and barbed wire across his chest. Fortunately he is an old man that has been there and done that so he just stopped where he was and didn't fight. I had to go over, stand on the pig wire, pick up one foot, put it behind the wire, go around to the other side, step on the pig wire, pick up the other foot, and put it behind the wire. He finally ended up loose with nothing more than 1 little bloody spot in the middle of his chest from the barbed wire. That stuff works fine as long as they respect it (unfortunately Tiny doesn't LOL).

She is a beautiful little filly by the way. :D

riccil0ve 08-03-2009 01:12 AM

Well, Gracie is well on her way to being the "been there, done that" kind of girl. She's not even 1 for a few more days! I left her tied to a tree once, the rope was long enough for her to graze a bit, and it wasn't anything new. She's spent a good few hours walking around with her lead rope dragging just so she would get "stuck" and wait for me to fix it. So I leave her for like, five minutes, and when I came back, she managed to loosen her lead rope, and get it wrapped around her back leg. Like this. =]

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...ccil0ve/42.jpg

She did wait for me to come save her, though. This was like, four months ago.

LeahKathleen 08-03-2009 01:27 AM

Ha. That's a hilarious picture. She's looking at you like, "Um... this doesn't seem right, what do you think?"

riccil0ve 08-03-2009 01:29 AM

Yes, it was very much a, "Mom..? Help me?" moment. She gave herself quite a rug burn though. =|

smrobs 08-03-2009 01:54 AM

Haha. That reminds me of the week we brought Dobe home. He had never been touched at all so we got the halter on him while he was still in the trailer. After a few minutes, we brought him out and tied him to the side of the trailer with just enough room to reach the ground comfortably. Anyway, we were gone all day and came home that evening. He was laying flat on his back against the side of the trailer with all 4 legs sticking straight up and we were sure that he was dead. He had somehow got to fighting and stretched the rope out (nylon lariat) then got it wrapped around his left hind leg above the hock and ended up trapped. We cut the rope and got him up. He ended up with quite the rope burn around his leg (it's still a white line) but he ties like a champ now and will not fight at all. I guess it was a learning experience. LOL.

This is the best pic to see it. It is a little whitish line at an angle just above his hock.
http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...g?t=1249279873