The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   My horse will no longer spin. HELP! (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/my-horse-will-no-longer-spin-330817/)

gotjuice723 12-18-2013 05:10 PM

My horse will no longer spin. HELP!

Okay so I have been having trouble with starting my spins so last week I was practicing them and after like the 15th spin (yes I realize I went a little overboard but that's all I was working on that day) my horse began throwing his head up then began refusing to spin. I chalked it up to be him being tired of spinning so I stopped for the day. I haven't ridden him since and I got on him today I worked on my circles a little then I decided to ask him to spin to see if he would, he wouldn't and on top of the he began to rear a little, especially when I asked him to spin to the right, but also a little when I asked him to spin left. He has never done this before, I can't tell if he is sore from me working him too hard the week prior or if he is just being disobedient. What should I do???? Help please!

BlueSpark 12-18-2013 05:37 PM

a couple things. First, he's probably sore.

second, you REALLY need to cultivate balance in your training. asking a horse to do spins for an entire session would be like you having a personal trainer telling you that you need work on your core strength, then forcing you to spend an entire 1 hour session doing sit ups. Not only would you be in pain, and sore for a long time there after, you would be pretty ticked off at your trainer, and think that they were pretty unfair. The next time you went in, you would have bit of a grudge against your trainer, very sore muscles, and a strong dislike of situps.

You need to back way up, ask for a little, reward, and move on, so he learns spins are ok again.

gotjuice723 12-18-2013 05:45 PM

thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSpark (Post 4334881)
a couple things. First, he's probably sore.

second, you REALLY need to cultivate balance in your training. asking a horse to do spins for an entire session would be like you having a personal trainer telling you that you need work on your core strength, then forcing you to spend an entire 1 hour session doing sit ups. Not only would you be in pain, and sore for a long time there after, you would be pretty ticked off at your trainer, and think that they were pretty unfair. The next time you went in, you would have bit of a grudge against your trainer, very sore muscles, and a strong dislike of situps.

You need to back way up, ask for a little, reward, and move on, so he learns spins are ok again.

How long should I wait until I attempt it again?

franknbeans 12-18-2013 05:59 PM

Get over it for a while totally. Just forget about it for now, and stop focusing on when. Work on other things and let him get over it mentally and physically. Then-as has been said, start from ZERO. Like he never learned. Trot a spiral down, , let him spin a step or 2, then trot out. But DO NOT just keep doing this. His reward for doing it right right now will be for you to leave it alone.

Exactly how long-who knows. Personally, I would give him a week or 2, then start doing some trot exercises. If you have a trainer-I would suggest you get help. THis is not easy to fix. My guy is balky and decided to stop spinning right in September. I waited until there was someone who really knew what they were doing, who got on, he spun a few steps, and then she showed me some exercises to lighten him off his shoulders, which was the cause in my case. After a few days, he was fine. But to explain the exercise to you here is nearly impossible, and I don't want you doing it wrong ad nauseum and screwing up your horse.

Cherie 12-25-2013 08:04 AM

Get a reining trainer to help you or your horse going become completely 'un-trained'. He is not going to spin again for you until you are taught how to 'set him up' and how to 'cue' him to spin.

He quit because you are putting too much pressure on him rather than cuing him. Then, after he quit, you took all pressure off of him -- in effect rewarding him for NOT turning around. If you quit when he reared, you are teaching him to rear.

Since you do not know how to ride his turnarounds, do not try to do any until you get a trainer to put a couple of rides in him and get his turnarounds back. Then, learn how to properly set him up and how to ask for turnarounds.

You only make a horse 'lock up' or back up when you use too much rein pressure. Some horses get so stiff that they start 'hopping' around because they cannot cross over and they get frustrated and either back up or rear. It is 100% rider error when they do this. Once they have been trained to turn-around, they still need to be ridden into a spin correctly and asked properly.

Find a REAL reining horse trainer -- one that has trained and successfully shown reining horses. Get this horse a 'tune up' and then take enough lessons to learn how to 'maintain' a reiner. Maintaining a reiner is not a matter of 'practicing' maneuvers. It is a matter of loping a lot of circles of varying size and speeds, doing a lot of 'counter cantering', NOT changing leads EVER in the center of the arena, 'leg yielding' and 'counter-bending' at the lope, etc. You do a hundred exercises to every actual maneuver you practice.

One thing to ALWAYS REMEMBER! ALWAYS QUIT WHEN YOU ARE AHEAD! NEVER quit when the horse is doing something poorly. This is a HUGE lesson that every rider needs to learn. Once a rider goes past that point, it can be really difficult to find a good spot to quit, especially if you do not know how to do other exercises that keep a reining horse 'loose' and 'limber'.

Some horses are more forgiving than others. Some horses quit you as soon an you screw up. All horses only have so many 'tune-ups' in them. Hopefully your horse will come back with proper riding and will continue to ride good when you learn how to ask for maneuvers. Lead changes can be even worse than turnarounds and sliding stops when they get fouled up.

Think of a trained reining or cutting horse or any high level horse of any discipline like you would think of a 'airplane'. Would you buy an airplane and then try to teach yourself how to fly it?

Palomine 01-08-2014 04:45 PM

Would also wonder if you pulled something in horse's back too, by doing this to it.

Cherie said a mouthful there.