The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Shoing? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/shoing-330937/)

MinuitMouse 12-18-2013 09:17 PM

Shoing?

If a horse has never been shod in her life, and her hooves were taken really good care of and had no walking issues and wasn't lame would she ever need shoes?

princessfluffybritches 12-18-2013 10:04 PM

Hi, no a horse would only need shoes for a good reason, like a choice if the feet are too sensitive where you ride, or a medical reason. There's no promise what happens in the future, but we all hope for the best.

DancingArabian 12-18-2013 10:16 PM

There's no guarantee she would never need shoes, regardless of her past history.
Posted via Mobile Device

My2Geldings 12-20-2013 10:45 AM

It really depends on the horse. Their are a lot of reasons why a horse should be shoed or kept barefoot.

Wearing shoes provides protection, traction and aid in soundness. Some horses need the assistance of shoes to correct hoof issues, others are better off barefoot. I would always shoes barefoot over shoes whenever possible, but most of my horses have had shoes only because of what we do with ours(tho we do a small amount of showing, our horses are out on trails and the mountains a lot).

I think thats a decision you need to make based on what the horse you're riding needs. Shoes can very easily escalate in price and become a major financial investment, so make the proper decision.

Speed Racer 12-20-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinuitMouse (Post 4336225)
If a horse has never been shod in her life, and her hooves were taken really good care of and had no walking issues and wasn't lame would she ever need shoes?

If it ain't broke, there's no need to fix it.

Two of my horses are barefoot and one is shod in front because he needs to be. If he were able to go barefoot, he would.

KigerQueen 12-20-2013 11:02 AM

Unless you are in vary rocky country I don't see a reason to shoe. I shoe my mare for a medical, and soundness reason (as well as 12+ mile trail rides over rocky country, and because she destroys her feed in her stall/turn out without shoes). You can buy a pair of hoof boots too if you plan on long rides over varying terrain. As Speed Racer said "If it ain't broke, there's no need to fix it."

beau159 12-20-2013 12:04 PM

It depends on the terrain in your area of the country, and what you plan to do with the horse.

The vast majority of horses will never NEED shoes. But there are a select few who have lameness issues that need corrective shoeing. And there are some events where shoes can enhance performance (you aren't going to see a reining horse do a sliding stop barefoot ... they need slider plates).

Chances are, your horse will never need shoes. But that is not a guarantee, of course.

loosie 12-21-2013 12:32 AM

Agree with above replies, very generally speaking, no, but there are so many factors that (should) influence the decision to shoe or not that it's a very general no. And of course, these days there are many different kinds of hoof boot & other options that mean conventional shoes aren't the only option. Learning about hoof function & the pros & cons of different approaches & devices will help you make a more informed decision on how to best manage your horse.