The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   so long Indy... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/so-long-indy-33144/)

Solo 08-03-2009 08:09 PM

so long Indy...

I don't know if I have ever let on how much trouble I have with Indy.

He is a great horse, and while I like to think of myself as a great rider (haha i'm joking... mostly :wink: ) I have realized that I just can not handle him anymore.

He is great if you can ride out some bucking, once he gets through it he is fine. I've had him vet-checked, chiro checked, etc. etc. Nothing has come up. Right now, Indy needs someone who can spend a couple of hours a day working him. Not just getting on and riding for an hour. He needs someone who has time to lunge him for half an hour, ride him for an hour, and then cool him ; not someone who tries to fit all that into about two and a half hours.

I also get nervous on a bigger horse (16.3/17 hh ) when they start to act up so that does not help matters much. With guidance from friends and family, we have decided that it would be better for me to look for something that is not quite as high maintenance.

He is at his temporary new home. I am not going to say anything more about that situation other than the people do not know if they are going to keep him or train him and re-sell him in a couple months.

I have been riding a pony lately (yeah, a lot different then my big guy..) and they have offered to trade for him. I am highly considering it because she is great. I am not looking for something that has perfect conformation or is going to take me to the A circuit for showing. I have been riding her on trails and she seems like she is a good match. I have not decided anything, although she has seen the vet and passed with flying colors. However, it looks like she will be coming home with me Labor Day weekend.

I don't have any good pictures of her yet, I will get some tomorrow, but I needed to get that off my chest. No one here really understands how hard it is to part with your first horse, your baby. I love him SO much and I hope he doesn't think I don't love him or am deserting him, but he deserves better. He really does. He needs someone who will turn him into a show horse or spend the three hours a day working him.

Cookies for anyone who read all of that...

Walkamile 08-03-2009 09:45 PM

Good for you Solo. That has to be one of the most difficult decisions to make. The reality is like you said , you don't have the time to devote to what Indy needs. Life is very short, spend it doing what you love with the time you have for it. Kudos to you. Have fun! :wink:

BTW, a friend of mine faced a similar situation with a TB she owned. Finally decided to go with a draft cross that could do what she wanted and didn't need to be worked on a line 30 - 45 mins before. She can skip 3-5 days get on and still he's calm and steady ,ready to work. Best decision she said she ever made. Darn emotions can really complicate things eh?!

Solo 08-03-2009 10:15 PM

Thanks Walkamile... I really appreciate that. It's a whole lot easier to look at the bright side when you have someone else telling you about it.

Yeah those darn emotions really can. My goodness, if someone had seen me today and didn't know what happened, they would have thought someone died or something.

Your friend sounds like she was really lucky with her decision.

I know I'm going to regret it, but I have to think about Indy and not just what I want. I wanted him to be the perfect horse but I'm not ready to take him to that next level, he needs someone that can.

I just hope he doesn't forget me...
I love him so much. I hope I can still see him in the future.

RescueMe 08-03-2009 10:45 PM

Kudos

Kudos to ya Solo! A very hard and heart-wrenching choice to make, but, a smart one for sure! I have been there, done it....more than once. I have a hard time letting go as well and I do not mind admitting that I will cry and carry on like a sick calf - for days :) Having a horse you "have time for" makes all the difference in the world - I can promise you that. My first horse - this was back before the flood of course lol - she was sold in less than a year. She was more than I needed at 8 years old and more than I was ready to handle. It hurt, for sure and I have never forgotten her. But, I also moved on to an older gelding who saw me through many years of riding and showing - it all works itself out. I admire the gumption that it takes to make such choices! And, you are within your rights to be sad and to worry and to wonder - its what we "horse people" do. Thats why we love them so much! Chin up and best of luck :) :-)

Solo 08-05-2009 10:24 PM

Thanks RescueMe... As another day has passed it has been easier and easier.

The hardest part though is him being at the place where I work and walking by with my new pony...I feel horrible. He looks at me and it's almost like he's asking Mom why aren't you taking me out?

The owner of the place got on him today and said he was fine... Indy must have just been able to tell I was scared of him and taken advantage of it. Or maybe he just wasn't cut out to be ridden in an arena every day. Who knows... Hearing that he was fine today made me have second thoughts about my decision but I also know that the guy who rode him is a lot more experienced and isn't scared when a horse acts up. I really hope they either keep him or sell him to somebody who will take him places with his jumping ability....

Here is a picture of the new pony. I haven't decided what to call her yet.

They call her Taco so I was thinking "Taco Belle" and calling her Bella but someone suggested Tinkerbelle.... I just don't know.

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/Pony1005.jpg

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/Pony1004.jpg

Walkamile 08-05-2009 10:37 PM

She is gorgeous! What a little blonde "bombshell"! :lol: Love the name Belle, very classy and lady like. Have fun getting to know her.

And don't beat yourself up over Indy. Sometimes certain horses come to us before we're really ready for them. It's not fair to hang on to them for years until we reach the level they need. That's life. But he will do fine. And Belle has much to give you and you her. One foot in front of the other and it gets easier. Hugs to you!