The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Wiggly Legs at Posting Trot (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/wiggly-legs-posting-trot-33146/)

azarni 08-03-2009 08:45 PM

Wiggly Legs at Posting Trot

Hi everyone.

I need some tips on how to stabilize the lower leg while posting.

Here's a video of me riding my horse. The posting trot is from about 0:10 to 0:27

I've already gotten some useful tips in the critique section, so thanks to those who've already given me suggestions. I've been doing all of the things suggested. I'm just wondering if there are any more tips out there to try!

MIEventer 08-03-2009 08:52 PM

I would shorten your leathers a hole or two. You are not allowing your heels to do their job, which is anchor you. You need to allow your bodies weight to flow down from your upper body, into your seat, and into your heels.

Open your knees, allow the weight to sink into your heels.

Right now, you are posting from your knees when you need to be posting from your heels and inner calf.

azarni 08-03-2009 09:26 PM

Thanks MIE.

toadflax 08-03-2009 09:50 PM

Yep, I totally agree with MIE, and what a gorgeous horse!

Sara 08-03-2009 09:56 PM

Practice your two point: important in and of itself, but it also helps you really appreciate and use your joints as shock absorbers. You should be able to two point at all gaits.

Practice posting without stirrups: believe me...if you aren't doing it right, you will know when you do this. Pinching with your knees completely throws you off balance. This is one of my LEAST favorite things to do, but it really helps :-P

Do sit ups and back exercises: this is not just for posting, you'd be amazed how much everything in riding becomes easier when you have strong core muscles.

If you cannot do the first two without balancing on the reins, have someone lunge you and practice without having to worry about your hands until you are solid on your balance.

azarni 08-03-2009 10:17 PM

Thank you, toadflax and Sara.

I've never tried posting without stirrups. That should be interesting!

xxBarry Godden 08-04-2009 12:01 PM

Wiggly legs at the trot is often to do with using the feet to push up together with having your legs in a slightly wrong position. All very difficult to explain on a keyboard. Look up: www.sustainabledressage.net -the blogger does a good job in English even though it is not her native language. She covers a lot of topics about dressage riding.
Your cob is broad backed, with a substantial chest, a size which is difficult to get one's legs around. She's a strong girlie but you seem to be managing OK. What's a wiggle between friends!

B G

Ps The passport name of my own horse, a dapple grey Irish Draught mare
was Delta (Dawn) - I now call her DiDi. SHe also has a broad back, a big chest and a very powerful rump.

coffeemama 08-28-2012 06:30 PM

Your horse is adorable!!! it's actually easier to post a trot quietly on a wider horse and you are doing a great job but should try posting without irons just to tighten up the muscles that you post from and then stretch down in heels when you begin to post with irons. It's not bad, though. focus on the side to side motion of the trot and move with that instead of the up down motion and it will feel easier. YOu pony has a comfortable trot and it's not a big motion so you will get it quickly don't worry. your rise is barely out of saddle on this horses motion which is nice.

Kayty 08-29-2012 03:24 AM

coffeemama, this is a very old thread and it's unlikely that the OP is still looking for advice ;)

coffeemama 08-29-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 1663561)
coffeemama, this is a very old thread and it's unlikely that the OP is still looking for advice ;)

oops lol just noticed that.