The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   Slaughter plant to open in New Mexico Jan. 1 (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/slaughter-plant-open-new-mexico-jan-331474/)

ForeverSunRider 12-19-2013 11:33 PM

Slaughter plant to open in New Mexico Jan. 1

Roswell horse slaughter plant to open Jan. 1 | KOB.com

Thoughts?

Is this really happening?

COWCHICK77 12-19-2013 11:40 PM

50 Attachment(s)
About time!
Posted via Mobile Device

ForeverSunRider 12-19-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COWCHICK77 (Post 4343738)
About time!
Posted via Mobile Device

Can you explain your response?

SullysRider 12-19-2013 11:46 PM

We do need it, too many unwanted horses. Better slaughter than dying of starvation.

COWCHICK77 12-19-2013 11:50 PM

50 Attachment(s)
I am pro- slaughter and I hope the NM plant paves the way for more.
This has been said more than 100 times on this forum, but I would like the these horses taken care of here in the states under USDA supervision rather than shipped to Mexico.

smrobs 12-20-2013 12:55 AM

Sunrider, don't assume that all of us who are pro-slaughter are of the sentiments "WooHoo, lets go slaughter all the horses!" I am pro-slaughter simply because there is no other way to maintain a balance in the horse market and population. Right now, because there is no slaughter here in the US, there are horses standing around starving, there are horses being subjected to thousands of miles in an overstuffed trailer to go to a slaughtering house in Canada or Mexico (some of the sites in Mexico don't have any oversight to ensure the horses are treated as humanely as possible), there are good horses that can't find homes, and owners are selling their good horses for a pittance.

Horses that would have been worth $2-3 thousand a decade ago are being sold for $200-300 or less. Rescues are jammed and overflowing, horses are being turned loose on public land to fend for themselves.

I don't see how any of that is better than a short trip on a trailer to be quickly dispatched in a way that is as humane as possible and have the meat bringing at least some money into our floundering economy. That meat might even be feeding some hungry folks who can't get meat anywhere else.

Tracer 12-20-2013 01:21 AM

bsms says it wonderfully. It's not that any of us like the fact that horses are being killed, but it is better than the alternative. The lesser of two evils, if you'd prefer.

I really wish that all the animal activist groups would realize that. There isn't enough money in the world to allow for every horse born these days to be kept safe and healthy, and I for one would rather kill them myself than let them suffer.

In fact, it's my opinion that more slaughter plants should be opened, and run by horse enthusiasts. Yes, it'd be heartbreaking work, but then you could be sure that the plant would go to every length possible to make the event as quick, painless, and untraumatic as possible.

ForeverSunRider 12-20-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 4344282)
Sunrider, don't assume that all of us who are pro-slaughter are of the sentiments "WooHoo, lets go slaughter all the horses!"

My father owns and runs a slaughterhouse, I am very well adapted to the idea of a slaughterhouse. He just processes them for the pet food industry as opposed to for human consumption.

I couldn't imagine eating horse. Icky!

darkpony 12-20-2013 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 4344282)
Sunrider, don't assume that all of us who are pro-slaughter are of the sentiments "WooHoo, lets go slaughter all the horses!" I am pro-slaughter simply because there is no other way to maintain a balance in the horse market and population. Right now, because there is no slaughter here in the US, there are horses standing around starving, there are horses being subjected to thousands of miles in an overstuffed trailer to go to a slaughtering house in Canada or Mexico (some of the sites in Mexico don't have any oversight to ensure the horses are treated as humanely as possible), there are good horses that can't find homes, and owners are selling their good horses for a pittance.

Horses that would have been worth $2-3 thousand a decade ago are being sold for $200-300 or less. Rescues are jammed and overflowing, horses are being turned loose on public land to fend for themselves.

I don't see how any of that is better than a short trip on a trailer to be quickly dispatched in a way that is as humane as possible and have the meat bringing at least some money into our floundering economy. That meat might even be feeding some hungry folks who can't get meat anywhere else.

Literally could not have said it better myself!!

Speed Racer 12-20-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverSunRider (Post 4344594)
I couldn't imagine eating horse. Icky!

That's only because you've been culturally conditioned to find the idea distasteful. Had you grown up in a country where it's common practice you wouldn't have that reaction. Heck, had you grown up in the US anytime prior to the late 20th century, you wouldn't think it was 'icky'.

So you're only morally opposed to humans eating horses, but having them processed for animal food is fine? Interesting.