The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Lilly's Baby Bump & Foaling Thread - (Lots of Pictures) * Update * Baby is Here * (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/lillys-baby-bump-foaling-thread-lots-331538/)

Glynnis 12-20-2013 12:33 AM

Lilly's Baby Bump & Foaling Thread - (Lots of Pictures) * Update * Baby is Here *

9 Attachment(s)
Well I've caved. I have said time and time again that I wouldn't start a thread until at least the New Year, but I can't stand it anymore. I've been posting so much in "Who's expecting a 2014 foal" that I might as well start my own thread already. Be warned, I'm about to write a novella.

I would like to introduce Lilly. Lilly is my 12 year old maiden mare. She is an Arab/Paint cross, registered as a Pinto. She is wonderfully versatile and has a wonderful personality and mind. I have thought about breeding her for a very, very long time and have put away money, looked at a lot of different stallions and have done so much research, my head, it spins. I had Lilly tested for HERDA, GBED, PSSM1, MH and HYPP (I know I didn't have to test for this since she doesn't go back to Impressive, but it was cheaper to do all 5) and she came back clear for all of them. I also had her tested for OLWS and that was N/N as well.

Now for the stallion. I bred Lilly to Painted Coos. He has done well in the CPtHA circuit and has his ROM. I really liked his height, build and conformation and when I met him, his personality was to die for - I have never met such a calm, well-mannered stud in my life and I think his characteristics will complement Lilly's well. He also is N/N for HYPP and OLWS.

Lilly was covered on April 29 and May 1 of this year. The breeder contacted me when she didn't come back into heat, and she was confirmed in foal, with only 1 foal, via ultrasound. The vet also thought, that based on the size of the embryo, that Lilly caught on the April 29 breeding and gave me a "due date" (aka when she's at 340 days) of April 5, 2014.

To say I am excited is the understatement of the century. I'm also nervous and worried and wish I was best friends with an equine vet, so he/she could tell me Lilly was fine every other week or so. :D

While I know colour is only secondary, I am hoping for some colour on this baby. The sire is heterozygous for Tobiano and Ee. Lilly, continuing on her streak of N/N is negative for tobiano, sabino, splash and frame, despite being 50% Paint. Her agouti status is Aa and she is also Ee. I have created a poll to see what you all think. I've had two dreams, one where she had a bay tobiano colt and one where she had a solid chestnut filly, so I'm going to guess chestnut tobiano colt. :-) I guess we'll see how my powers of premonition pan out.

All right, enough talk. Here is Lilly.

This is her last March about 3 weeks before going to see the stallion.
Attachment 338882

Took a few pictures of her this July. The mosquitoes were so bad, I made her and her pasturemate a smudge which is the haze you see here.
Attachment 338898

Side profile - she's still maintained some of the Arab "dishiness".
Attachment 338906

This was a photo taken in September. I thought she would look really nice against the blue sky and ripe wheat. No baby bump yet.
Attachment 338930

This was taken November 16, 2013. This is when I really started to notice some changes.
Attachment 338938

This is the same day as above, just a behind profile. She really seems to be predominantly lopsided to the right.
Attachment 338946

This was on December 11. Holy mareitude batman!
Attachment 338954

This is also on December 11 and I couldn't believe how lopsided she looks.
Attachment 338962

And here is the Baby daddy.
Attachment 338978

Glynnis 12-20-2013 12:38 AM

Also meant to add the colour possibilities according to the coat colour calculator to help you guys out.

Offspring Color Probability

18.75% -Black Tobiano
18.75% -Black
18.75% -Bay Tobiano
18.75% -Bay
12.50% -Chestnut Tobiano
12.50% -Chestnut

ForeverSunRider 12-20-2013 12:52 AM

Subbing - she's cute and the daddy's a beaut. Hoping you get a dashing, healthy baby.

darkpony 12-20-2013 03:08 AM

Also Subbing! I cant wait to see this baby!

DeliciousD 12-20-2013 04:33 AM

Yey you made it :D subbing!

CLaPorte432 12-20-2013 07:51 AM

889 Attachment(s)
Hmmm...

Im going to say BROWN Tobiano Filly. ;-)

Lilly is a beautiful horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

TexasBlaze 12-20-2013 10:45 AM

Babies babies everywhere xD I see who my and Novas competition is LOL

Glynnis 12-20-2013 12:48 PM

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I have to admit, I was scared to open the responses in my email! I have seen some pretty negative comments from people, so I'm glad you all remained positive in your remarks. I've always tried to be pleasant and diplomatic in my posts, so I hope everyone who posts on here can return the favour.

The biggest challenge with Lilly, especially now that it is Winter and she is getting exercised less, is keeping weight off of her. I swear she breathes and she gains 10 lbs. I talked to the vet about her nutrition and she has instructed me to keep feeding her at maintenance levels and the demands from baby will help keep her weight in check. So that is what I've been doing. She gets a little bit of extra now that the cold weather has set in, just to give her the calories she needs to keep warm.

We have a heated barn with a 12'X15' foaling stall for her. Since she could safely foal anytime from mid-March to mid-May, I'm going to start putting her in at night mid-February. I'm wondering if this will cause any problems since she already has a thick winter coat? I don't think the barn will be kept at high temperatures, but does anyone have experience with this?

CLaPorte432 12-20-2013 12:58 PM

889 Attachment(s)
Glynnis, If I remember correctly, your in Canada, right? I have noticed that the majority of the US is pro-purebred breedings. But in Canada, there is more 'open' breeding of part-breds/grades. As well as over-seas, they are more open to cross-breeding.

My mom owns a Grade (Curly x Spanish Mustang) and I'd take 1000 of him if I had the chance. He's intelligent, versatile (can literally do anything) and boy is he hardy! Best feet my farrier has seen, size-able bone, big solid boy. Meanwhile, my bred to the 9's AQHA has been a money pit from the beginning, soundness issues and likely will be retired around 10-12 due to arthritis.

Lilly is a beautiful horse. She'll produce a nice, usable baby for you. :-)

Have you posted what your future plans are for your foal?
Posted via Mobile Device

PonioUK 12-20-2013 01:05 PM

Also subbing! Lovely looking mare - can't wait until the baby! :D