The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Weanling with diarrhea (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/weanling-diarrhea-33159/)

Sandy n Brandy 08-03-2009 10:27 PM

Weanling with diarrhea

My poor baby has had diarrhea for a week and a half and the vet cant find anything wrong yet. I heard that this is pretty normal for them to go through after they are weaned. She was weaned at four months and then she came home with me to a new place. I started her on safe choice feed and she was fine for a few weeks. Then I increased her feed and she got the diarrhea. There is nothing in her stool that the vet can find. We gave her half a wormer. Also I am giving her plain yogurt, kaopectate, pepto, and mineral oil twice a day. We are waiting for a bit before we try anything more drastic so she wont colic. It has improved, but Im curious if anyone has gone through this? How long will it last? I can tell she feels a little better and has been running around a bit. Thanks for any advice or success stories!

nldiaz66 08-03-2009 10:40 PM

I am dealing with diarrhea with a older horse, I dont know about a weanling.I dont think I would give plain yogurt, kaopectate, pepto all at the same time.My vet had told me to use plain yogurt for 3 days and if no inprovement then stop giving it to him. If none of those are working after about 3-5 days I would call the vet.
Have you tryed to cut back on her feed and see if the diarrhea stops?

Barrelracer Up 08-03-2009 11:28 PM

Dac 911 or DDA may be the way to go. The 911 has antibodies in it and the DDA has mycotoxin binder. Both are good probiotics.

I didn't think Safe Choice was for growing horses? If you are looking for a low or no grain feed, check out Triple Crown. I give my younguns either Triple Crown Senior or Ultium. Be sure to give at least 6 pounds daily of the Triple Crown per the label. My colt is on DDA, Calm-B, and Colt Grower. Once I move him to Fl he will go on 911 and switch to Ultium feed then back to DDA. Then in Nov I will put him on Breeder's Choice in prep for the breeding shed.

If she stressed during the weaning period she may have an ulcer. The 911 helps out with those.
I would cut out the mineral oil - it can loosen the stool in of itself.

dee 08-04-2009 10:45 AM

Also I am giving her plain yogurt, kaopectate, pepto, and mineral oil twice a day.

Be careful with the mineral oil. That's what we always used as a laxative.

mls 08-04-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrelracer Up (Post 368543)

I didn't think Safe Choice was for growing horses?

Safe Choice is a wonderful feed for all equines.

OP - what type of roughage is the weanling getting? Did that change at the same time she was weaned?

Sandy n Brandy 08-05-2009 10:03 PM

Thanks!

Thanks for all the advice. I will let my vet know that I want to reconsider the mineral oil. I will be talking to her again tomor to see what she wants me to do next. Ill ask about an ulcer possibility and the 911 or dda.
mls- she is getting a good quality coastal hay and I kept her on the same hay from the previous owner when she got the diarrhea. I had cut back her food in half, but now the vet wants me to start building it back up because she is looking a little ribby. Not too bad yet thankfully. Does anyone think this could be long term damage from being weaned at 4 months? I guess Ill start panicking if it doesnt get any better in a week. Her stool is I guess like a cow patty. It was runny all the time, so there is some improvement.

Barrelracer Up 08-05-2009 10:46 PM

Once you get the diarrhea to stop she should bounce back development-wise.

Just feed her good quality feed and supplements like you normally would - don't try to "make up" for lost growth - provide plenty of turnout and exercise. Keep up with your worming program, give plenty of good hay and keep out fresh water and free choice salt.

I wean mine at 3 to 5 months depending on how well they are eating and how tired mom is of them. The majority of the time I see a development issue when they are long-term not getting enough nutrition (fed 1 scoop "Sweet Stuff" a day and coastal hay) or fed more than a hard working adult horse would need (2 scoops Ultium 3 times a day with free choice alfalfa).