The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Help my field boots (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/help-my-field-boots-33177/)

Grizelda 08-04-2009 06:57 AM

Help my field boots

Ok so I bought a nice pair of expensive field boots last year. and tehy fit perfectly. This year I went to pull them on and can get them on no problem its just really tight around my calf. I really dont want to buy new field boots, and im also wondering if stretching is an option? (how to do it ext) UGH PLEASE HELP ME :-(

Jillyann 08-04-2009 12:08 PM

When I stopped riding for about a year, my boots sat and were not worn for that whole year, when I put them on again, they were very tight. I just wore them EVERYWHERE! And that stretched them out a lot. and now I can wear them anytime, and they are as comfy as ever!

So yes, you can stretch them out., just wear them a lot!

StormyBlues 08-04-2009 01:37 PM

^agreeded. That's why I ride in mine at least once a month. Otherwise they shrink back in to where they were when I bought them. All hope is not lost! :D

MIEventer 08-06-2009 09:22 AM

You can take them to a Leather Maker/Shoe Repair Shop/Cobbler - and they can install zippers for you with elastic to make the calf wider.

They can even stretch them for you as well without putting a zipper in.

We all gain weight and loose weight throughout the year, it's a fact of life and it happens.

I have never heard of leather ever going back to it's origional state when not in use. Once leather is stretched, it is stretched.

StormyBlues 08-06-2009 02:31 PM

^Then why are my boots tight when I don't ride in them for a few months?

Jillyann 08-06-2009 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIEventer (Post 370648)
I have never heard of leather ever going back to it's origional state when not in use. Once leather is stretched, it is stretched.

I dont really agree. My boots were to tight for me 6 months ago, and now they are more comfy then ever! I can not stand tight things at all, so I would know if they have stretched or not. And they did!

MIEventer 08-06-2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

My boots were to tight for me 6 months ago, and now they are more comfy then ever! I can not stand tight things at all, so I would know if they have stretched or not. And they did!
Jilllyan - you just pretty much agree'd to what I origionally said. Yes, leather can be stretched, but once the leather has been stretched, I have never heard of it going back to its origional state.

Once you stretch your boots out to be where they need to be, they remain in that stretched state for the rest of the boots life.

Over all the years I've ridden, I know the tedius process it takes to get your leather to supple up and stretch to make the new boots very comfortable for you to wear, and never have any of these boots ever gone back to their origional state after the stretching process was complete.

My MIL has a pair of very expensive English Riding Boots that she spent hours stretching and making comfortable. Then she quit riding for 2 years, and the boots are exactly as they were when she used them after the stretching process.

I have sold leather boots because overtime they stretch, and become too big for me in my ankles and calves - For example, a pair of my Mountain Horse Sportive High Riders have overly stretched, now they have to go. Heck, I can slide the boots on without even unzipping the zippers, that's how much they've stretched.

Once leather has been stretched out, I have never heard, nor seen - it going back to its origional state.

Jillyann 08-06-2009 05:31 PM

Yeah, but I have had my boots for about 4 years, they sat in my closet for a year and a half and were not worn once during that time. When I put them on again, they were very tight. and once I started wearing them again (about 6 months ago) they fit my perfectly now..

MIEventer 08-06-2009 05:35 PM

Well, we do go through gaining water retention and loosing it. I think it is you, not your leather shoes.

That is why you never rely on a scale to tell you your weight, because it is always innacurate with how much your water retention always fluctuates.

StormyBlues 08-06-2009 05:39 PM

I'm totally with Jillyann