The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   How long did you search before finding your horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/how-long-did-you-search-before-33181/)

kathryn 08-04-2009 10:24 AM

How long did you search before finding your horse?

I am wondering because I am having a lot of trouble finding a horse to lease or even one I would be interested in buying.

Gillian 08-04-2009 10:59 AM

I was looking for almost a year. But I'm so glad that I found Zeus!
Good luck. :]

RoCru 08-04-2009 11:31 AM

I was lucky and found my guy quickly. I was hoping for something gaited at a reasonable price. I found an add for a Buckskin mare and called it, but she was sold. But, they informed me about a "spotted horse" they were goin' to sell. I went and looked at him the next day, then 5 days later we went a got him. So, it was around a week....hehe.

toadflax 08-04-2009 12:14 PM

Hm, a QH judge and trainer once told me that it's never a mistake NOT to buy a horse--meaning it's a lot easier to get stuck with a horse you're not happy with than it is to find just the right one. Be patient and hang on to your money till you're really positive. It took me a couple of months to find my first horse who I never liked much and sold after a year and a half, and a year to find my Best Horse in the World Appy mare who I still have 20 years later.

myQHpaul 08-04-2009 12:23 PM

paul was boarded out at the barn where i was leasing. he was out there 3 months before i bought him. i knew he was for sale but it was a little more then i wanted to spend. after talking to his half owner (the barn owner- he was training paul for cutting) he cut back on what he would get out of paul's sale and my dad said he promised me a horse 30 years ago and glad he can finally make my dream a reality.

Jillyann 08-04-2009 12:24 PM

I actually found my lease mare without looking. I was looking at a barn to possibly take lessons, and then 2 days later I had a horse! Hah. I think it was love at first sight.

mls 08-04-2009 12:47 PM

I raise mine.

MN Tigerstripes 08-04-2009 04:54 PM

I wasn't looking for a horse, but he was gonna be sold and I couldn't let him go somewhere else. I'd been riding him for about 3 months and I knew we could have a great bond given the time. But when I was a teenager I looked for 2 years without finding anything that "clicked" and ended up giving up on owning a horse for awhile. Looking back I'm glad I waited, otherwise I wouldn't have my dearling.

JustDressageIt 08-04-2009 05:10 PM

About a month. As soon as I met him, however ugly and underweight he was, I knew he was coming home with me.

ilovemyPhillip 08-04-2009 05:14 PM

I found mine thru a friend. I wasnt really looking, but i rode him once, and he was sooo pretty so i knew he was mine for the taking. Savannah just came with him, i didnt really want her at all...