The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Advice on a jumping saddle? + Saddle fit (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/advice-jumping-saddle-saddle-fit-33203/)

jmagdavidson 08-04-2009 04:35 PM

Advice on a jumping saddle? + Saddle fit

I have to buy a new jumping saddle because I just bought a new horse and mine (an HDR Rivella) did not fit her. I've tried a lot of different saddles, including an older Pessoa, a Pro-Trainer Event, a Classic Saddlery, a Collegiate, a Toulouse Merina, a Dover Elite, and a few others, and none fit quite right. The way the HDR, Pessoa, Dover, and Collegiate fit her is that they touch her back right behind her withers and not at all behind her shoulder or at the back of the saddle - it just kinda hovers.

The Merina hovered over her back a little and she wouldn't raise her back while riding in it, the Classic fits nicely but there is something just a little off about it but she raises her back better in that one, and the Pro-Trainer sits on her withers but otherwise fits.

The saddles that seem to fit her best give room for big shoulders, are a wide tree (she is a medium tree now but she's gonna fill out more as she's young), and have large, FLAT panels.

She is the most difficult horse to fit that I have ever encountered. The only saddle I've found that actually fits her is a Stubben Edelweiss but it doesn't fit me!!! Which brings me to...

Does anyone know of a saddle/brand that fits the description (or comes close to) that I gave above, has a very forward flap, and narrow twist? I'm a fan of Toulouses but the twists are too wide. My old HDR was amazing for me but didn't fit my horse.

ThatNinjaHorse 08-04-2009 08:24 PM

You could try a saddle with changeable gullets, like bates or wintec, i like those. Raiser pads are also available that either raise the saddle at the back or front etc, other than that im not sure what you could do. Do you have a saddlery nearby that does saddle fitting? Then you could try heaps of different types at once..

StormyBlues 08-04-2009 08:30 PM

You can do the Dover Test Ride program. That is what I'm going to do with my new boy! :D

Grizelda 08-05-2009 07:05 AM

I have a bates. And love it! its got the interchangable gullets so I have NO problem fitting it to any horse I want