The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   What gait is this? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/what-gait-33206/)

charlene1985 08-04-2009 03:55 PM

What gait is this?

Im trying to figure out what gate this TWH is doing? This is Midnights Mystery Man when we first got him. Its when we test rode him...any input?

savvylover112 08-04-2009 04:24 PM

basically to me he just looks like he is trotting but is sore in his legs :D:D

charlene1985 08-04-2009 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savvylover112 (Post 369133)
basically to me he just looks like he is trotting but is sore in his legs :D:D

It is a gait I know that. Firstly it wasnt bouncy and second(ly) In order for it to be a trot though there would have to be a moment of complete suspension where the horse has no feet on the ground and i slowed it down on my comp and there is always at least one foot on the ground so i know its not a trot. But thanks. Also we have had him for 8 months now and he still moves the same way. We also had the vet go out and check him that same day and didnt mention anything about any soreness in him. He also just had a vet visit 2 months ago and again no stiffness or soreness.

savvylover112 08-04-2009 04:58 PM

ok then i have no clue lol sorry

SpiritJordanRivers 08-04-2009 05:19 PM

It looks like he's pacing.

Spyder 08-04-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlene1985 (Post 369166)
It is a gait I know that. Firstly it wasnt bouncy and second(ly) In order for it to be a trot though there would have to be a moment of complete suspension where the horse has no feet on the ground and i slowed it down on my comp and there is always at least one foot on the ground so i know its not a trot. But thanks. Also we have had him for 8 months now and he still moves the same way. We also had the vet go out and check him that same day and didnt mention anything about any soreness in him. He also just had a vet visit 2 months ago and again no stiffness or soreness.

I slowed it down also and it looks to be a broken trot. Not quite a pace for the legs on each side do not quite go together. He is going more lateral (pace) but it simply is not quite true.

I would suspect if the breeding were checked there is both gaited and non gaited parents. This is what often happens when breeding like this is done.

Zab 08-04-2009 06:32 PM

It's definetly not pace, he moves his legs more diagonal than lateral.

It's a trot, but not a clean/pure trot.
Either it's gaited/non-gaited parents, or he has some tension or ''lock'' in some muscle, could be a ''pain-memory'' (the memory of a painful injury) or he just hasn't gotten the hang of it. I know horses that mixes between a trot and a canter, normally once stressed out, over worked and tensed non-gaited horses, they've forgotten both trot and canter and just mixes, even years after they got better lives with less stress and good people.. Could be the same but with trot and gait on this one.

However, if you're not showing or by other means need a pure, specific gait, and if he's calm and gaits with a lifted back and so on, I wouldn't worry. As long as he doesn't seem tensed or annoyed or anything, it could just be his regular gait.

charlene1985 08-04-2009 07:29 PM

I dont have a video of it yet but he also does the (quick) running walk and does that just like a regular TWH do u think there is any way to get that gait done any better also would like to add that he tripped in the video (about 3-6 seconds into it) and his feet were due to be trimmed. Ill try to get a video of him in his running walk. Although I dont ride him anymore, I just test rode him. He is my boyfriends horse. Thanks for all the input though

Sunny06 08-04-2009 09:11 PM

Probably a disjointed trot..?

Zab 08-05-2009 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlene1985 (Post 369319)
I dont have a video of it yet but he also does the (quick) running walk and does that just like a regular TWH do u think there is any way to get that gait done any better also would like to add that he tripped in the video (about 3-6 seconds into it) and his feet were due to be trimmed. Ill try to get a video of him in his running walk. Although I dont ride him anymore, I just test rode him. He is my boyfriends horse. Thanks for all the input though

Do you want that gait then? I mean, if he's doing the running walk, that's pure gait. This is closer to trot, so any way to get this ''better'' is to make it a pure trot. Which I, of course, say is healthy for any horse since it helps getting them soft, but I think most TWH people disagree there ;)
To get a pre trot, work him on rough ground, it's hard to gait there. Or just skip that gait and stick with his clean gaits.