The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Bath Time (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/bath-time-33210/)

NyHorseGal 08-04-2009 05:55 PM

Bath Time

How do you get a horse to stand still during bath time?

I bring my horse to the wash stall. I set up the hose and the bucket with soap...while im doing this...my horse is moving from side to side. He won't stand still.

Then i hose him off and i end up getting wet because hes moving around so much. :|

Anybody have any tips on how to get him to stand still. He has had baths before. He is fine in the barn when i am brushing him. Its the wash stall he does not like.

Thanks.

SpiritJordanRivers 08-04-2009 06:09 PM

Give him a treat everytime he enters the washstall, this makes going into the washstall pleasent for him. Don't wash him with really cold water, make it lukewarm-ish, cause cold water on a hot day just feels cold and unpleasent. Start with his legs, keep with him when he moves. The second he stops moving, take the water off his legs and rub him and tell him he's a good boy. Continue to do this and soon he'll see that the washstall isn't so bad after all :)

StormyBlues 08-04-2009 06:10 PM

read the one below double post

StormyBlues 08-04-2009 06:10 PM

Groom him in the wash stall and have him stand still for you without the bath. Reward him when he does stand still then move on to baths. Baby steps.

horseoffire 08-04-2009 06:20 PM

all my horses stand perfect but if the water is realy cold they tend to move to try to get away from it.

NyHorseGal 08-04-2009 06:20 PM

Thank you for your help. I don't know when our next bath will be. I will work on him to standing still.

Goosen 08-04-2009 06:38 PM

I used to have to all but drag Allegra into the washrack. That was a pain when everyone was watching you. And once she was in she would wiggle all over the place. She still rears every once in a while in there...mmm.

It took about two "baths" (she gets hosed off nearly everytime I ride in the summer) for her to just walk right in. I'd give her a cookie when she was half way in, when she finally got in, one during the middle of the bath or whatever I was doing, and once when she was leaving. It was a lot of cookies but she's much better now - and she doesn't wiggle!

mat 08-07-2009 02:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Whatever. This is the best way for horse cleaning if it's possible:lol:.
Our horses was cleaned like this last weekend. Thay had been really happy and we too.