The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Clinton Anderson, What Do You Think of His Methods? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/clinton-anderson-what-do-you-think-33229/)

Whispering Meadows 08-04-2009 07:40 PM

Clinton Anderson, What Do You Think of His Methods?

Ok well I just found this Clinton Anderson apprentice program, working with Clinton Anderson for 4yrs. I haven't heard much about Clinton or his methods, but what I have heard was good. So I was wonrdering if any of y'all had use(d) his methods or been to any of his clinics? If you have/do what do you think about them? Would it be worth it to give this Apprentice Program a shot? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

goldilockz 08-04-2009 08:00 PM

I like some of the stuff he does, and others I'm not sure about.

Any apprenticeship is good though, as I believe the best horseman takes his techniques from various sources :D

dee 08-05-2009 01:41 PM

His methods are very similar to the Parelli method or to Dennis Reis (all are on RFD-TV). I have tried a number of his little exercises, and they do work. I'm not very experienced with training horses - my previous horses were all pretty much ready made. These last two I bought haven't had much handling recently, and I'm pretty much starting all over. If I could afford his videos and/or his "No Worries Club," I sure would!:D

themacpack 08-05-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldilockz (Post 369355)
I like some of the stuff he does, and others I'm not sure about.

Any apprenticeship is good though, as I believe the best horseman takes his techniques from various sources :D

Yep, yep, yep! I don't subscribe to any one person's methods, but there are several for whom I have a lot of respect and agree with much of what they use/teach. Clinton Anderson is one of the ones I respect and agree with on most counts.

LadyDreamer 08-05-2009 02:08 PM

The Apprenticeship program will be very hard to get into, just like a good college. Clinton is never easy on his apprentices, and it is going to ivolve very VERY hard work.

I suggest if you are really interested, start practicing some of his methods, join the No Worries Club(you can talk to some of the current apprentices there), and see if it is right for you.

The more you have to show, the more confidence you have, the better you present yourself, the better off you will be.

Whispering Meadows 08-05-2009 04:03 PM

thanks guys! I haven't completely decided on his program yet due to the fact that its 4yrs and i cant take my own horse. I'm also still looking at other trainers that I might be more interested in. So if you know some others that have good methods I could check into please let me know!

Dee,
how much like Parelli are his methods? does he use the "games"? Like I said in my first post I dont know much about his methods but I've heard he is really good. As for Parelli I know a little bit more about him and his methods and some of his methods I really dont like, like his "games" I find could turnout very dangerous and would never attempt to use them.

LadyDreamer,
I expect that any horse training program would be lots of hard work as horses are hard work.

Spirithorse 08-05-2009 04:28 PM

I do not like Clinton at all. He treats every horse the same and he is very aggressive. You have to be assertive with horses, not aggressive. I've seen him spur the crap out of horses b/c they weren't bending, yank on their mouths because they weren't softening, and I heard him say, with my own ears, that he doesn't care if his horse is behind the vertical, just as long as he is giving to the bit. Going behind the bit is EVADING, not giving. His horses are robots. He uses intimidation to get things done. You never hear him talk about the relationship, only do whatever it takes to get the task done. He will also not hesitate to put a twisted wire snaffle in a horse's mouth. I can not respect anyone who does that.
If you watch closely, you can see where some of Clinton's stuff looks like Parelli's 7 games. But I can tell you Clinton DOES NOT come anywhere near being as good with horses at Pat. Clinton used to be a Parelli student and he's put his own twist on Pat's games. I can say first hand that Parelli's 7 games are not dangerous. Doing them makes things safer for both horse and human.
All of that being said, I will say that I have a lot of respect for Denis Reis. He is a wonderful horseman and he's a beautiful rider.

Scoutrider 08-05-2009 05:11 PM

If there were some crazed law that every rider had to choose a big name trainer to follow (come heck or high water), I would probably pick Clinton Anderson. My horses respond really well to the techniques, especially the groundwork. They are calm, respectful, friendly, safe, and easy to handle. That's awesome, Whispering Meadows, that you may have to opportunity to participate in his Apprenticeship program! I personally use a lot more of a classical dressage based riding program, but, for my new horse (basically green) I started off going through the motions of CA's gaining respect/control exercises to be sure that I stood on level ground, so to speak. A lot of the commercial NH trainers focus on building a foundation, and to have a complete picture different concepts need to come in to play (hence my classical dressage after control).

That's interesting, Spirithorse, I didn't know that CA was once a Parelli student! Wow! Although he doesn't say much about partnership in his videos, etc. (at least from what I've seen), to do the liberty work and bridleless riding that he performs at exhibitions, there is a great degree of partnership that has been attained, and that I am sure he must acknowledge and be working toward. Just my opinion, as always, but all of my experience of the Parelli system is talking about partnership, very little "this is how it's done", lots of "this is what you will get to." Granted, this is the free TV show, not watching a DVD set.

Kudos on the wonderful opportunity, Whispering Meadows! :D

Spirithorse 08-05-2009 05:20 PM

Yep, a 5 star Parelli Professional, who has been with Pat from the beginning, told us that at a clinic she was giving. He was doing Level 3 when he decided to go out and do his own thing. My personal opinion, the Parelli program is better off without him.

You can achieve bridleless riding through micromanagement. You just have to have a hum-dee-dum horse who isn't going to test you. This is where you can seperate TRUE bridleless riding from bridleless riding achieved through micromanagement. Clinton's horse Mindy is a phenominal athelete, but she is one of those hum-dee-dum horses you can do anything on. I have yet to see Clinton take on a real challenge and ride it bridleless. My personal opinion again, but that's because he does not emphasize the relationship in his training. If Clinton were to get a hold of my horse, oh man, I can only imagine what Arie would do to him. It would not be pretty AT ALL.

Parelli's TV shows are to motivate and inspire people, not to teach them. This is a good and bad thing. The DVDs are the "how to" material, it goes very in depth and is a lot like taking a private lesson with Pat and/or Linda in a lot of ways.

Scoutrider 08-05-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirithorse (Post 370117)
Clinton's horse Mindy is a phenominal athelete, but she is one of those hum-dee-dum horses you can do anything on.

:D You just described what I strive for in a horse, lol. A horse that will willingly follow my lead and I can do anything with. There are the differences in ambitions and goals between horsepeople in action!

I have heard extreme emphasis of not micromanaging from CA's system (and similar ideas from Parelli); making the horse responsible for his gait, speed, and direction without the rider constantly tugging him back to the rail, or holding his mouth to keep him slow, etc.

The tv show makes more sense, if the DVDs are the informative aspect of it. Sometimes I think that if Pat got hold of Scout, Scout would just stand there and watch, wondering what was going on. With so many different trainers and options, it's like all roads leading to Rome. Lots of ways to get there, the ultimate goal the same. It's all about how your horse is "wired" and what he responds to the best.