The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Help with saddles? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/help-saddles-33294/)

Newjumper 08-05-2009 07:37 PM

Help with saddles?

Okay, so i'm thinking about buying a saddle sometime soon, and I would like to be educated before I start thinking about price ranges, etc.

Please don't worry about telling me about sizing, my trainer will help me with fitting it, but she wants me to try to pick out the saddle price range that i'm interested in. I want to get a c/c or a/p saddle, but I had a few questions.

Is there any difference in comfort of riding in a synthetic compared to a leather?

Are fiberglass trees okay? Or should I stay strictly to wood?

Is there anything that I should look at when I look for a saddle specifically? Like, should I stay away from foam panels (just an example) or something?

Just so you know, i'm a hunter/jumper, but I also do a LOT of flatwork. I don't mind getting leather, even though its much harder to take care of, and i'm on a tight budget, but will expand it if it means getting a saddle that will be more comfortable and better for my horse and me in the long run.

I'm sure there has to be inexpensive saddles that are of a decent quality... right?

Thanks to everyone who helps :-)

Sunny06 08-05-2009 10:29 PM

Is there any difference in comfort of riding in a synthetic compared to a leather?

Depends on your preference. Leather tends to be tougher, but holds up better and is easier to clean.

Are fiberglass trees okay? Or should I stay strictly to wood?

Mm.. Sorry, I got nothin.

Is there anything that I should look at when I look for a saddle specifically? Like, should I stay away from foam panels (just an example) or something?

Good brand name = quality. Quality is important.

Just so you know, i'm a hunter/jumper, but I also do a LOT of flatwork. I don't mind getting leather, even though its much harder to take care of, and i'm on a tight budget, but will expand it if it means getting a saddle that will be more comfortable and better for my horse and me in the long run.

Actually, it's a WHOLE lot easier..

I'm sure there has to be inexpensive saddles that are of a decent quality... right?

Quality can be expensive. Quality is what you are buying on a good saddle. A used saddle will be less expensive.

Newjumper 08-06-2009 01:31 PM

Okay, thanks :) that helps!

I'll have to see if anybody knows about the fiberglass vs. wood trees

Sunny06 08-06-2009 02:49 PM

Yeah, sorry o.O

You may find some helpful info on google. Maybe type 'fiberglass/wood saddle trees'?

StormyBlues 08-06-2009 03:55 PM

Is there any difference in comfort of riding in a synthetic compared to a leather? I think that they are both comfertable, but leather is a little more comfy in a jumping saddle.

Are fiberglass trees okay? Or should I stay strictly to wood? No clue.

Is there anything that I should look at when I look for a saddle specifically? Like, should I stay away from foam panels (just an example) or something? Again, no clue.

I'm sure there has to be inexpensive saddles that are of a decent quality... right? I would spend money on a GREAT quality saddle that will last you YEARS insted of a cheapo one that lasts you two.

Brands that I LOVE are Wintec, Bates, and Stubben. Crosbys are also very nice! Dover has a test ride program that gives you the saddle to try for 3 days and if you hate it you send it back but if you love it you pay for it and keep the saddle!

MIEventer 08-06-2009 04:28 PM

I would contact a saddle maker/fitter in your area. Most of them are very knowledgeable about what brand of sadde would work best for your horses back and you -

You need the help from an educated, experienced person such as a saddle maker/ fitter who does this as their career and been in the field most of their lives - so that they can examine the shape of your horses back and tell you what type you need to accomodate him/her.

Then the saddle maker/fitter will beable to see you in the saddle, watch you ride and tell you if the saddle works for your body type or not.

Well worth the money, time and effort to ensure you have the right saddle. Most saddles on the market today are made to fit the wither - not the horses back. So make sure you have educated guidance along your path to finding the right saddle.

Newjumper 08-06-2009 09:16 PM

Okay :) Thanks for everyone else's help as well! I'll be keeping all the suggestions in mind. I'll also see if I can find a close by Saddle fitter/maker...

ShannonSevenfold 08-07-2009 06:31 PM

Sorry if I repeat what someone else already said.. I didn't take time to read the other replies. =/

1. My saddle is synthetic and my lesson saddle is leather. I personally find my synthetic more comfortable. But I'm sure it really depends on the design of the saddle more than the material.

2. I've heard that it's more often than not better to stay away from fiberglass trees. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Good quality saddles will usually have wooden trees anyway.

3. Nothing really comes to mind at the moment as far as certain things to stay away from. =/

4. Yes, you can absolutely get a good quality saddle for quite an inexpensive price, but be very wary of brand new saddles (from a shop or website, no previous owner) that are marked at a very low price. Example: I paid $190 for my saddle. I bought it used, but it is in brand new condition. I got a great deal on it and it is a high quality saddle. This is a very good site to get deals on good saddles (I got mine on here!).

Hope I helped! :D

juniormylove 08-10-2009 02:24 PM

I agree, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to stay away from fiberglass trees. I think wood ones are stronger or something? idk.

I prefer leather, but it's all preference.

Stay away from the cheap brand new, no name saddle sets on ebay. They're horrid quality and will do your horse more harm then good.

It can be hard to find a good deal, but if you know exactly what you're looking for, finding a good quality, leather saddle shouldn't be hard. I got my first saddle, a nice old collegiate, for $50.

drafteventer 08-10-2009 02:31 PM

I prefer leather, simply because of looks. Though synthetic is easier to clean (all you need is a damp rag and wipe off the dirt.)
I like to buy used, but name brand saddles. They are usually cheaper, and are already broken in. A quality saddle can last a very long time if taken care of properly.