The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   What breed of horse has a frizzy mane and tail? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/what-breed-horse-has-frizzy-mane-333306/)

Foxtail Ranch 12-23-2013 11:24 PM

What breed of horse has a frizzy mane and tail?

2 Attachment(s)
I have a horse we rescued with little information about her past. We think she was 1-2 years old and possibly an Appendix, according to the vet. When we got her, she was injured badly and underweight. Since then, she has grown from 14'1" to 16'2" and has filled out nicely. She looks like she may grow some more, so whatever she is, she is TALL.

Her mane and tail are very nappy and form dreadlocks easily. We have to braid her up to keep them from becoming a real disaster.

I was wondering if anyone knows a breed associated with this trait? I don't have good confo pics of her, but will work on that.

This is when we first got her. She was so cute!

Attachment 340698

This was a recent ride. She is the horse being ridden.

Attachment 340690

Foxtail Ranch 12-23-2013 11:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
More pictures from last summer with my cute niece Hazel:

Attachment 340706

Attachment 340714

You can kind of see the fuzzball hair of her forelock. It just stands up! There is a huge scar next to her blaze that you can see in this picture. It continues to heal and look better all the time.

She has a great temperament, easy to train, nice gaits and loves everyone: her fellow horses, dogs, donkey, cat, human. All are welcome to her with a sniff.

jimmyp 12-23-2013 11:46 PM

My rocky mountain geldings mane does that. I just want to cut it off but my wife says no........

We also have s qh made her with a lot of tb that gets pretty nappy. I think its more of an individual thing than breed specific.

Jim

usandpets 12-23-2013 11:46 PM

Could be most anything. Possibly has part Appy or could be QH. I've seen QH like that but her head has a different look to me. Maybe it's just the way the pics are. She could be a mix of many things too. Hard to say.
Posted via Mobile Device

rideverystride 12-23-2013 11:48 PM

I agree with everyone else. I don't see any particular breeds standing out to me =/.

tinyliny 12-23-2013 11:52 PM

well, her coat does not look like it, but such a mane as you've described can be a hallmark of the "Bashkir Curly" or "American Curly" breed.

Foxtail Ranch 12-24-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usandpets (Post 4369778)
Could be most anything. Possibly has part Appy or could be QH. I've seen QH like that but her head has a different look to me. Maybe it's just the way the pics are. She could be a mix of many things too. Hard to say.
Posted via Mobile Device

Her head is different. Her mouth is small and her cheek or mandible is quite large in comparison. Oh, and she has TONS of hair in her ears! We call them her tassles, they dangle out and down.

ALegUp 12-24-2013 12:47 AM

I'm thinking Appy just from the white sclera around her eye in one of those last pics.

Alexandra V 12-24-2013 12:04 PM

It could also not be a breed thing but that she just tends to have a dry mane and tail. The mare I lease is like that too - I'm the only one that seems to pay attention to her mane and tail, and it was always very difficult to comb out and really really REALLY frizzy. I started using cowboy magic in it before I combed it out every time I go and her hair is getting much better, more manageable and is showing the curls she's supposed to have rather than a big afro.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dustbunny 12-24-2013 12:44 PM

The eye made me think there is some Appy in there somewhere.
She's a tall one! Aren't you happy she's a sweetie? : )