The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Why I Like Nutrena SafeChoice Senior Feed (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/why-i-like-nutrena-safechoice-senior-333314/)

The Robyn 12-23-2013 10:25 PM

Why I Like Nutrena SafeChoice Senior Feed

2 Attachment(s)
Mister was very skinny after last Winter. After a long Summer and Fall of vet checkups, teeth floatings, deworming, 24/7 pasture and hay...and Nutrena SafeChoice Senior feed, Mister is almost back up to his original weight. He has more energy, has better focus and looks better than he has in a long time. He really started gaining the weight once I started feeding Nutrena. It's good stuff.
Attachment 340674

Attachment 340682

Skyseternalangel 12-23-2013 10:28 PM

I'm glad it worked for your horse. It did not work for mine. It actually made him 'hotter' and did not help put on weight. For us, it was non stop hay and Triple Crown senior feed.

That's why there are so many feeds out there, it works for each horse differently

The Robyn 12-23-2013 10:40 PM

I tell my customers that all of the time. With a little trial and error, we can all find the feed that works for our horses. Each horse is different of course, but Nutrena SC worked great for both of my horses.

gigem88 12-24-2013 07:18 AM

Wow, he looks so much better!

CLaPorte432 12-24-2013 07:27 AM

I've had very good results with Nutrena SC Senior as well.

He looks much much better!
Posted via Mobile Device

walkinthewalk 12-24-2013 08:11 AM

I hate to say this but, Nutrena Safe Choice Senior has worked the best of anything to put weight back on my 27+ Arab.

The reason I hate to say that is because Nutrena's forumulas are not fixed and I don't like that.

I tried Triple Crown Senior over the summer and he kept losing weight. I have to drive 40 miles to buy Triple Crown, so I bought extra. I kept it in the house and I still ended up throwing out a whole bag because it went bad:evil:

I drive 12 mile to Tractor Supply and buy the Safe Choice Senior which, for reasons I don't understand, works better than Triple Crown.

My Arab has had two physicals within six months, a full CBC, insulin and cortisol checked, fecal checked, a thorough vet-hands-on checking for tumors and the conclusion was Streeter is healthier than I am:shock:

The amount of food his 13.3H self consumes in a month would literally founder a Clydesdale. He was already eating more than my three TWH's combined, when the vets at the facility conferred and concluded I need to feed him more:shock:

If this is metabolism-driven, I want to trade with him:-P

Cacowgirl 12-24-2013 08:18 AM

I want that metabolism also!

Zexious 12-24-2013 10:14 AM

He looks lovely! It's always great when you can find something that works for you and your horsies.

New_image 12-24-2013 10:34 AM

Glad that it worked :-)
I haven't tried Nutrena Safe Choice Senior but I have used Safe Choice. Cannot say that I loved or hated it. I too have found Triple Crown feeds to be better in theory than what I actually saw. We use Tribute and I do LOVE their line of feed. Right now the whole herd is on Tribute's Right Choice, works for everyone from yearlings to seniors and rescues. That makes my life easier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cacowgirl (Post 4371122)
I want that metabolism also!

Baha! For those of you wanting that metabolism, its not all that its cracked up to be. Between my husband and I with our unreal metabolisms and the non-stop movement in our lives OUR grocery bill well exceeds what it costs me to feed the 17 horses in a month. Heck, its more than all 17 horses, the goats, the dogs, the cats, the chickens and the rabbits... :oops: :lol:

walkinthewalk 12-24-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New_image (Post 4371738)

Baha! For those of you wanting that metabolism, its not all that its cracked up to be. Between my husband and I with our unreal metabolisms and the non-stop movement in our lives OUR grocery bill well exceeds what it costs me to feed the 17 horses in a month. Heck, its more than all 17 horses, the goats, the dogs, the cats, the chickens and the rabbits... :oops: :lol:

1. That at least reinforces why my 13.3H fella goes thru 107 lbs of Senior Feed; 60 pounds of rice bran; ~180 of mushed up bagged forage in his feed pan monthly:shock:

2. I know you must cost yourselves a fortune in "feed" but-----if you're not still in the jeans you wore when you were 20, I'll bet you're darn close which is more than I can say and I am pretty envious:-)