The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Moved Skittles in! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/moved-skittles-33360/)

barefoot 08-06-2009 09:08 PM

Moved Skittles in!

So I moved my new pony a week ago. And every since he's been really excited and "looky". I've lunged him before every ride, and I guess that's just what I'm going to have to do until he calms a bit.

He is four years old, so I'm being patient with him. But he's been off the property before to go to horse shows - Anything else you think I could do to help him acclimate? I'm beginning to think that he just thinks I'm a pushover.. which I might be a little with him just because he's ridiculously unpredictable. One thing he always does is every once in awhile he rears and bucks in place. Out of noooowhere.

This is a picture from yesterday; I look so big on him but I'm not! He's not as small as he looks. My friend was on her much bigger horse with her cell phone.. He's about 15 hands and I'm 5'3

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._4229888_n.jpg

nldiaz66 08-06-2009 09:18 PM

just give me time to settle in..

mom2pride 08-07-2009 12:21 AM

I like to give a horse a week or two to adjust before really doing serious work. I like to do alot of ground work, and maybe some riding, but as they adjust try not to worry too much about him being anxious...he's still getting used to his surroundings; now, if he's still like this 3 or 4 weeks from now, then that may just be the way he is, but a week is not alot of time. Concentrate on your relationship with him right now...maybe even focus on ground work more than riding right now; take him for walks around the property and just spend time with him without expectations.

HorsesAreForever 08-09-2009 08:30 AM

Give him time!! when ever I move chance I give her a week of just grooming, 2nd week of ground work/ exploring the place only then when shes calm I start getting on her.

FlitterBug 08-09-2009 09:08 AM

I'm a bit opposite of everyone else. When I buy a new horse, or get a horse in for training, the work starts that day. The horse finds calmness and stability through solid leadership. As soon as that horse comes in, there aren't any excuses.

When that horse gets turned out, there aren't any excuses with the herd. A well mannered horse is accepted quickly into the herd, however a flighty, nervous, or pushy horse (usually what I get in) does not get any slack just because they are new. Be fair with him, but be firm. Don't be a pushover at all just because he is new, he is testing you right now to see if you have what it takes to be his leader, he will not understand your sympathy just because he is in a new place. The first thing a horse does in a new place is test the pecking order.

I refuse to accept any horse with less than desirable behavior to just "be that way". Breed influences certain characteristics, but every horse is capable of achieving calmness and relaxation. I have gotten in many looky, unnattentive horses that their owners just accepted "thats how they are". I have yet to meet one that is really that way, they are just looking over their own back because they don't trust the person (the lead horse) to do it for them. Once they are offered this leadership, the horse quickly finds calmness and the ability to focus and trust.

So, think of all of the things that you want your horse to be, apply it to yourself x10, and that is the type of leader that your horse wants. You have to be calm, attentive, open to new things, but not highly reactive. Work with reason in your mind, but firm in your decisions.

Remember, nothing with a horse is out of nowhere, they give you all of the signs, you just have to know how to read them.

By the way, I love the name Skittles!

charlene1985 08-09-2009 10:16 AM

I couldnt agree more with flitterbug! Infact I just picked up my horse yesterday (we got him home at 10pm). I put him in a pasture with my moms old mare for the night and I am going to go ride today. While the grooming and affection I believe is important. Groom him and give him affection before the ride, after the ride, when you feed, ect. But what did you buy him for? TO RIDE HIM. Show him from the get go what his job is. And the buck/rear thing...discipline him for it...if he isnt hurting from the saddle then its NOT ACCEPTABLE!

ChingazMyBoy 08-10-2009 01:51 AM

I as well agree with flitterbug. The day I got my boy home I had him in work. It started light, partly because he was unfit. But then his work load became bigger.