The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I need your help with an emaciated horse

8K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  dressagebelle 
#1 · (Edited)
I took in a 16.2hh ISH mare that's 14 years old. She has a body score of - well - to be honest 1. She's the skinniest horse I've ever seen. Not an ounce of fat and I can see every single bone in her body.

I wish I was exaggerating.

I got her from a barn that took her hoping to help her and couldn't.

I had the vet out for a thorough inspection including blood and fecal inspections. Checked her teeth, pulse, temp. Everything. Aside from being dangerously thin she's healthy. Oh and she cribs. So she has a cribbing collar, it's one of those kinds with metal on it. I was wondering if anyone had any good reviews on the leather Miracle Collar from Weaver?

So I need a plan of attack. A good one. One that will help her and quickly.

I'll be adding pictures in a moment.

#4 ·
well I dont know any thing about cribbing collars, but I have heard that once she has gained weight and they know they are getting feed on a regular basis that they will quit cribbing, so maybe with some luck, she will. Although she is under weight she isnt REAL bad, I have seen some REAL bad horse, like a bag of bones.Good luck with her I think she is in good hands, after all look what you have done with Carolina.

#5 ·
Yeh the pics for some reason make her look better than she is. I guess maybe compared to Carolina she's awful. Maybe she's a 2?

I put Carolina on beet pulp, BOSS, alfalfa pellets, Dumor Equistages (though I'm wondering if the protein is too high in that since it's 14%) plus free choice good quality hay.

Would that be ok for this horse too?

#6 ·
If it's a total of 14% protein in the feed I dont think its too high, but I'm sure others will have another opinion on it. What is the fat content? I have never tryed beet pulp, (wanting to but feed store was out of it).You can try it should see some of a improvement within a week or so.What feed is she on now?

I know pics never make them look like they do in person,lol.

#10 ·
i suggest adding the beet pulp into her diet. i have a couple of horses that were in the same condition as you horse (one of them was in even worse condition) and the beet pulp has done them wonders. my tb mare who is so typically hard to keep weight on has gained weight and held it being on the beet pulp.

id also suggest a vitamin and mineral supplement so her body can get the most out of the feed you are giving her. make sure its a complete supplement though.

also as you would probably know, plenty of grass and free choice hay making a decent part of that lucerne or alfalfa hay

good luck

#15 ·
i suggest adding the beet pulp into her diet.
Yes, yes, yes!

You need to start off slow, don't let her over indulge. The body is in shock. Because she's accustomed to not getting food, the complete 180 of getting fed regularly will take some acclimation for her digestive system and metabolism. I would definitely start off with small, frequent meals. Some flax seed oil wouldn't hurt either, getting her some precious Omega oils. Just pour 1/4 cup over some grain (whichever you're giving her) once a day.

#11 ·
Unlimited hay + some alfalfa (start adding slowly), little portion of grain/mash/oil as many times a day as you have time for, and may be some hay pellets too.

#13 ·
My rescues are given free choice coastal and started on 911. I give the 911 at 1/2 oz am & pm for at least 14 days. I also give the 911 3 days before and after any worming or events on ALL of my horses. I will also give a little alfalfa too - I am one that prefers the pasture blocks of compressed alfalfa to rolls of coastal and like mine to have access at least 6 hours a day.

Your mare could probably go straight to my "stage 2" where I start adding feed. I LOVE Ultium. I feed at least twice daily (3 times is better) and total out at least 6 pounds a day Ultium. I generally start at 1/4 to 1/2 scoop 3 times daily with 911 and build up to 6 lbs, then adjust as needed after 10 days or so at 6 lbs. You should weigh it until you figure how much in your scoop weighs what.

Once they are starting to put weight on I backoff or stop the 911 (except to give at worming or events) and move to Bloom.

If the horse is older I start 911 and Total Performance immediately and once I reach "stage 3" I add in Bloom in place of 911 and continue Total Performance.

Here is an article about figuring just how much protein your horse needs and how much he is actually getting per day and the sources of protein.

My 2 yr old colt currently gets regular sweet feed fed at the barn he is at, Colt Grower, DDA, Calm-B and almost free choice coastal.

Once I get him down here he will get 911 prior to the haul and stay on it at least 2 weeks, switch to Ultium, continue Colt Grower and switch to Bloom from 911 once he is settled. Will see about the Calm-B. By Nov I will add in Breeder's Choice in prep for the breeding shed.

Another great combo is Bloom and Orange together. And if you like using Oil the Bloom can be replaced with Oil.

#14 ·
We took in a pregnant mare that looked worse than the one that you took in and what the vet told us to feed worked wonders with her

Morning feeding
2 scoops Equine Senior (weighed out to be 4.5 pounds)
1 heaping scoop of alfalfa cubes

Afternoon
1 scoop alfalfa pellets
1 scoop beet pulp

Evening
2 scoops equine senior
1 scoop alfalfa cubes
Pro-Bios
Joint supp

It worked great and the best part the equine senior from Purina already has the rice bran, beet pulp, blood builders, weight buliders, coat supplements, vit supp, and hay already built in so i didn't have to add all that stuff to her feed everyday so it made things so much easier on me.

This is her on march 1

And this is her on August 3

#16 ·
Be sure if you feed a complete feed like that that you give the appropriate amount. I had a bad experience when I moved to SC and the barn there fed Triple Crown senior. That is a great feed and I loved how it read on the ingredient tag (even for my babies), BUT she cut my growing babies down to 2 lbs a day with free choice coastal. They looked OK until you pulled them off the hay for a half a day or worked them then they were down right SKINNY - agggghhhh. Triple Crown Senior MUST be given at at least 6 lbs a day and adjusted per individual. Ultium you could get away with giving 2 to 3 lbs a day, but not that Senior.
I moved my babies 2 months ago and I am just now getting them to really look good. My filly still needs more meat on the flanks to not look so T-boned at the hips, but her shoulders, chest and ribs are covered nicely and she has a shine to her now.
My colt is filling out - I had him fat and muscled in Feb. then he grew and that feed regime just wasn't doing it for him. He grew 4 inches at the hips in 5 months. He has meat covering his ribs now, but his muscles are still jiggly.

Weigh your feed so you know just how much you are giving.

#18 ·
The vet in our area suggested a scoop hay stretcher twice a day with what ever grain you are using. I used a BLUE SEAL BRAND vintage victory grain. Feeding three flakes of hay three times a day that way you know how much they are consuming. Free feeding is great but it is hard to tell how much they are actually eating, start off knowing how much this horse is consuming in a day Plenty of water too. Good luck

#19 ·
Poor thing. She looks sweet. :-(
I have a cribber myself. I think he picked up the habit when he was neglected a year before I bought him. The Miracle Collar *works* but it really depends on how bad she is. My horse still tries to crib, but he can't. On some horses it will make them stop trying, too. My miracle collar has also rubbed him pretty badly in certain spots... However, I haven't ever tried any other collar so this might be your best bet if the the metal one isn't working.
Not sure who mentioned it, but someone said that once you get a horse back to health/weight they will stop cribbing. This is usually not true. You may have some miracle that it will stop, just make sure that horse always has a job! :wink: Free choice hay has always helped my guy. That and having company to frolic with. lol :D

I also agree that she needs a new name... not too good at the feed or naming part... :D

#20 ·
Is she a former racehose? Just curious. Ulcers could play a part. I agree with lots of what the PP have said. Beet pulp is great. Also utilize the resources at your feed store. They should have a feed company rep who will give you a good plan and work for the horses individual needs.

#22 ·
If I posted a photo of my Irish Draught X Connemara you'd realize what good dooers the Irish breed. I have to watch her food - she'll put on weight just for being left on grass for too long.
You should get a measuring tape to go round the belly - so as to keep a record of her waist line and weight
Firstly - have you wormed your horse yet? Ask the vet what the local parasite problem is.
Second What's the grass like?
Third Any hay about? What about oat straw.
Fourth The Spanish down south feed alfalfa
Fifth sugar beet.
My girl loves carrots, apples & parsnips

#23 ·
Your mare looks to me like a poorly girl. If only I could I'd send you some of the fat off my Irish Draught X Connemara who needs to lose some weight. IDs as a breed are good doers and put on weight easily if treated well.
I feed my mare grass, a pasture mix with vitamins, plus the occasional apple, carrot, parsnip, swede. To get medecine down I give her some sugar beet
SHe also gets a salt supplement as many pasture needs added magnesium
Mine also gets a molasses lick in the winter months. She is fed oat straw or alfalfa if she gets too fat.

If your horse were mine I'd check: Teeth, & worms, and I'd call the vet - which you have done.

I'd buy a tape to measure her waist and weight on a daily basis and I'd record everything I fed her

With a horse that thin, I'd worry about saddle sores

But the real worry is giving her too much too quickly - she'll be at risk of both colic and laminitis. She needs to build up slowly. Maybe fed three or four times a time - little and often.
My girl has a blanket when the temperature drops below 5degc.
She has a raincoat if the rain looks to be heavy

Have you tried sending an email with photo to one of the better known animal feed compounders. They'll come back with some ideas, If the Aussies won't , then send to the Brits - they will reply I am sure.

If she is a crib biter then some horses inherit the habit but some develop it thru stress. If she has been starved or neglected then that is stressful. Wood splints can lodge in the throat but you would see signs of a blockage.

I'd watch her eat too. Does she want to eat? I'd walk her in a halter to grass
and make sure she ate.

Well done, that horse needs some Tender Loving Care. I wish you well. But look out for behavioural problems. A horse is motivated by fear, food and sex - your horse may have had too much fear, too little food and no sex.

She'll need careful handling and your risk now is colic - perhaps followed by laminitis. Poor girl, she doesn't need either of those problems.

Be lucky.

Barry G

Maybe I ought to show my mare a photo of yours, then she'll know how well off she is now. Trouble is, she already knows I am a sucker.

#24 ·
Hello!

I highly reccomend Dumor Weight Booster. It runs around 20 bucks for a bucket. Add one scoop (provided in the container) to her feed morning and night. I just got a horse that we are trying to build up who fought for his food. He's a score 2. This weight booster working great along with good feed and good costal hay.

#25 ·
You need to be extremely careful about refeeding this horse. It is quite easy to "kill with kindness" when you are dealing with a starved horse because their body has modified how it provides energy for it's cells. Please read this article and use the information to design a refeeding program for your horse. Otherwise you could accidentally end up causing renal failure.

Nutrition for Rehabilitating the Starved Horse

#26 ·
Unfortunately all I could tell you about feed is what I fed my mare on a daily basis, but she was just a hard keeper, never that thin. The only horse I've had that was that thin was a 3 year old gelding who was actually even thinner than that when I put him down, he was never starved either, we just found out after we put him down that he had poisoned himself eating fiddle neck weed. But hopefully you can fatten her up, and give her an awesome loving home. As for names, maybe Hope as a barn name, since she now actually has hope of becoming a healthy happy horse again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.