The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Jumping Critiques Wanted (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/jumping-critiques-wanted-33402/)

PoohLP 08-07-2009 03:14 PM

Jumping Critiques Wanted

Hi everyone. I'd love any critiques of my jumping and flat work. I just started riding again in January after 10-15 years of not riding (finances :( ). So here is me last weekend doing a couple of courses and my first time trying a dressage test. (I rode hunters as a kid.)

Course 1:

This was our first course. After he popped over that 8th jump, my stirrup got lodged under the arch of my foot and I lost my seat/control, so I circled to get everything back together before the final jumps.

Course 2:

I'd gone up a hole on my stirrups and that gave me a lot more control. The circle in the middle was me forgetting where my next jump was...oops!

Flat:

morganshow11 08-07-2009 04:47 PM

Your legs are pushed back when you are lumping, they should b forward

AussieDaisyGirl 08-07-2009 07:15 PM

Considering how long it's been since you've ridden, you did pretty darn well. I agree with your leg position being too far back. Your hands are a little shaky but nothing terrible. That's all I can see. You look good!

PoohLP 08-08-2009 06:01 PM

Thanks. Anyone else. I know it is hard to see, but any feed back is appreciated!

MyBoyPuck 08-08-2009 08:29 PM

For the dressage, use the corners more. Practice riding squares. Your horse appears to be bracing against the bit a little, and he's behind your leg a little and not tracking up in the trot. Add some impulsion and I'll be he steps nicely into the bit. You'll fix both things at the same time.

Jumping looks good to me other than what other said about the lower leg needing the be at the girth. I like watching hunter riders. They just want to get there!

PoohLP 08-09-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 372822)
For the dressage, use the corners more. Practice riding squares. Your horse appears to be bracing against the bit a little, and he's behind your leg a little and not tracking up in the trot. Add some impulsion and I'll be he steps nicely into the bit. You'll fix both things at the same time.

Jumping looks good to me other than what other said about the lower leg needing the be at the girth. I like watching hunter riders. They just want to get there!

Yeah, he's still learning how to carry himself (prior to coming to this barn, he was allowed to get away with a lot) and I'm still learning and getting a feel for how to ask him to do it properly and then how to keep him there. Thanks for the advice.

lovemyponies 08-09-2009 03:03 PM

I think you did well with the jumping from what I could see but sort of hard to tell. I would say your leg needs to be more forward (at the girth) but it also seems like part of it was you trying to get after the horse in corners with your legs really far back and they came further up over the jump. Cute horse and a great start

HalfPass 08-10-2009 11:38 AM

Hey there.
First of all I think you did pretty darn good for not having done so in so many years. For the dressage test I think the person who said to ride more into the corners was right by making that suggestion. I would suggest that you lower your stirrups because they look as tho they are the same length that you had them on the jumping course. You have nice long legs and it almost looks uncoforatable for the sturrupps to be so high.
Working on some transitions from the walk to trot and canter will also help. But remember that it has been a long time and you both looked great considering all that...
I think you both look great together...
HP

PoohLP 08-10-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalfPass (Post 374071)
Hey there.
I would suggest that you lower your stirrups because they look as tho they are the same length that you had them on the jumping course. You have nice long legs and it almost looks uncoforatable for the sturrupps to be so high.
Working on some transitions from the walk to trot and canter will also help. But remember that it has been a long time and you both looked great considering all that...
I think you both look great together...
HP

You just made my day by calling my stubby legs long! :) Guess that means Buddy is a good size for me. He's a real sweetie. He's being leased by a girl at the barn where I ride, but my instructor also gets to use him a couple times a week for lessons and that is when I get to ride him. He reminds me a lot of a bigger version of the large pony I had as a kid.

Working the dressage stuff is all still new to me and it still feels really odd for me to have longer stirrups, even for on the flat. But I'm going to get to do some dressage lessons on a horse with more dressage experience over the next few weeks, maybe even working in a dressage saddle, so hopefully that will help me to get a better feel for it.

Thanks for the input. :)

kerplop 08-11-2009 11:38 AM

Wow, considering everything you've said about not riding I'm impressed!

The only thing I wanted to comment on was that it'll probably be in your benefit to lower the jumps to crossrails and practice getting around the course as rhythmically and smoothly as possible. You seemed to have some issues steering at points in the jumping videos as well as issues with getting your horse in front of your leg. It's all about the canter. ;)