The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Another question too fat what do I feed (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/another-question-too-fat-what-do-334138/)

Tombo8 12-26-2013 07:25 AM

Another question too fat what do I feed

Posted Today, 11:24 AM
Hi all,
I just purchased a mini a few days ago.yah:)
Now looking at her it is pretty obvious that she is too fat.
She has a dry yard but she also has access if she needs, to our backyard grassy lawn.
If I allow her on our lawn she pretty much eats it all day, so I know this is way no good for her.
So, my questions are if we keep her just in the dry yard, and being over weight as she is, How much should I feed her? I have no idea if I'm feeding her not enough or too much?
On a diet, how much should she be getting in hard feed and what?
Also if I do allow her on the lawn is that okay for her to eat and how long should she be allowed?
Thank you for any help. I don't want to starve her, but I don't want her to get sick either.
MultiQuote
Edit

Endiku 12-26-2013 01:38 PM

congratulations on the new mare! How overweight is she? Do you have pictures?

For now, I would keep her only in your dry lot. It is good that you have one, because you will need it. She doesn't need any hard feed at all, just a decent quality local grass hay. Give her about 2% of her ideal weight in hay...so if she is 250 lbs but needs to weigh 225, give her 4 1/2 - 5 lbs of hay daily. Break that up into giving her 1/2 of that in the morning and 1/2 at night. If possible, buy yourself a slow feeder net so she feels like she is getting more than she really is, and to help her digestion. If you think she will need it, buy her a supplement with vitamins and minerals in it such as Sho Glo (at tractor supply) and give her half of a measure of that daily. She may eat it by itself (pellets) but if she doesn't, get some grass hay pellets (orchard or timothy) and just mix it with a handful of soaked grass pellets. She'll think she's getting grain o.-

She shouldn't need anything else, but you may have to change the amount of hay she gets periodically.

If you do let her eat lawn grass, make sure you NEVER put pesticides on it, and that there is nothing poisonous to her growing. Only let her graze for about an hour daily, if that.

Saddlebag 12-26-2013 02:13 PM

The small mesh hay nets are cheap. What I like to do is hang two nets as far apart as feasible as horses will often pick and bit then go to the other. Start with a flake in each one and see how long it lasts her. I doubt she needs supplement until you want her generating expensive poop. Just a dish of loose salt out of the weather. Horses don't get enough salt from a lick. It has been proven they will ingest about 1/3 more of loose salt (table or pickling) and horses know what they need.

Tombo8 12-28-2013 07:58 PM

Thanks for the tip about the salt on a dish. I did it and she licked it right up.
I like to let her out of her yard through the day onto our lawn grass. It's about 17 x 7 meters . How long should I allow her to eat it. It's short but very dense green grass.
Some people say only 1 hour, others say 1/2 day and lock her up at night?

JDeeds08 02-24-2014 11:54 PM

Grazing muzzles are great if you don't have access to a dry lot. In my experience, exercise has been key to getting weight off of an overfed mini. Even just lunging is very effective, especially on a hill. Sweating them while lunging or driving works well too.