The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Track pasture system (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/track-pasture-system-33495/)

yankee doodle 08-09-2009 05:19 AM

Track pasture system

I was reading an article on a track pasture. Has any one had a go at this? any comments or experiences of this would be great.

hotreddun 08-09-2009 09:22 AM

I think you're referring to the "paddock paradise" thing where the pasture is shaped like a doughnut? I tried that and it didn't work for my boys. One...I guess it wasn't big enough because it didn't sustain grass...and got very dusty and consequently muddy when it rained. Two...my older guy was way to aggressive with my younger one and just kept running him around like a hamster on a wheel for the fun of it. My guys do better with a big open space...but I do put the hay in one corner...the water in one corner and the shade in one corner to stimulate movement.

Spirithorse 08-09-2009 02:23 PM

I haven't personally tried it (although I want to) but I have several friends who use it and they absolutely love it!

yankee doodle 08-10-2009 03:51 AM

Thanks for comments, here is a link to the article I was reading.
Natural Hoof - Articles: On Track

We are thinking of doing a track around ten acres to try and give the paddocks time to rest. I also liked the idea of the horses putting in the extra miles. It's quite steep land, so I'm hoping the chest muscles may get a good work out.
I have also thought of maybe putting in some points of interest around the track poles, logs to step over that kind of thing.

trvlingheart 08-15-2009 10:16 PM

Wow, what a cool idea! I never would have thought of it, but it makes sense. Thanks for sharing, I hadn't come across this before.

yankee doodle 08-16-2009 03:24 AM

It's up and running! A group of us spent all day Doing a track round ten acres. I was in bed last night for eight thirty! I was so tired.
We have one group of 3 quarter horses and another group of 2 TB. They are now all on the track together.
It was great to watch them, the first thing they did was to gallop round and do a couple of laps. The land is on a hill so they had a great work out. The sound of hooves was amazing to hear, a real thunder. I'm sure the dressage lady next door thinks we are nuts.
Now the two groups were grazing in separate areas yesterday but today they look like they have formed one group. They were all sheltering under the trees as it was really raining hard. So I dont think they have been travelling much. I have been told it can take a while for them to do the grazing and travelling thing. The dominant horse of the group did not seem to be quite so dominating as he was tolerating the horses being really close.
We placed hay around the track and tomorrow they will have their meals in a different area. I was talking to a friend, it turns out has this system up and going and she cuts off the track and makes her horses run round the track to get their evening meal. I'm gonna try this once they get use to it. We are gonna also put down some poles and do a few areas of interest for them.
Thought today it's gonna be interesting if one of them dont want to be caught.

yankee doodle 08-17-2009 03:26 AM

Thought I would post how day two has gone on the track.
They have started to move/ graze round the track today. They have cantered round a few times as a group. One horse goes and the rest follow. It's really cool to watch and hear. There has been quite a few muddy rolls they are all really dirty.
At tea time to night I sneaked up on them from the opposite side of the track and they galloped round for their meals. After they had eaten they all walked off as a group and then cantered fully around the track together. They are certainly getting more exercise, and I'm sure they look are looking happier.

HorsesAreForever 08-23-2009 02:59 AM

what do u do with the middle of it................

yankee doodle 08-23-2009 05:44 AM

You let the middle grow. Once a day the horses are allowed to graze in the middle for an hour, this is in the article that I have linked where I got the idea from. This allows the grass to grow nice and long and so it has more nutrition for them than the young shorter grass.
I have a friend who puts her horses in the middle at night as they eat less during this period. She then puts them back on the track during the day.

It's a week today since they went on the track. We have started to blow a whistle when it is feed time and they come cantering round to us. They are also cantering round as a group during the day. The muscles are now starting to build. My horse has started to follow me when I go on to the track and so I'm not using a halter to take him out to the barn to work. He has gone dog like. I was a bit worried he might be a pain to catch.

trvlingheart 08-23-2009 01:40 PM

We are planning on creating the system and have talked about putting our 4 drafts in the center and our two light arab/poa crosses on the track at least for the start. Mainly because Beghera one of the arab/poas is blind and while I'm sure she would be completely fine on the track, we are worried about if the whole heard gets to a canter on the track if she would be able to negotiate the turns.. We thought about maybe putting in some motion sensors in the corners with some beepers or something to let her know she's coming to a corner, something to help her learn the track for the first few months (of course we'd walk her around it when we first put her in). But once we feel comfy with her in the track then we may put the whole heard on the track.

We were planning on cutting a road through our feilds. Currently about 50 acers is split into multiple feilds but they are all connected with gates. No main road to travel between the feilds. So a large portion of this track may be actually be cut to use for this purpose too. Its all still in the thought process. But is definantly something we are planning on doing. Niether of us had ever heard of or thought of doing this and its so simple. LOL thanks again for sharing.