The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Mouthpiece material preference? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/mouthpiece-material-preference-33499/)

RubaiyateBandit 08-09-2009 08:48 AM

Mouthpiece material preference?

I was looking up the differences of copper vs. sweet iron, and got to wondering what was most popular.
Please vote and give your reasons~!

I like stainless steel, but not for any particular reason. It just happens to be the easiest to find in my area, and all my horses will take a stainless steel bit -- 2-Pak won't take sweet iron, and Bandit and Tanner won't take copper. I've never tried rubber, but I sort of want to give those flavored rubber bits a try... Any experience as to how long that flavor lasts?

kitten_Val 08-09-2009 10:36 AM

I put copper (or copper inlay), because I couldn't find any type of bit I really want in sweet iron. :) I tried pure stainless steel, and both my horses were not impressed.

iridehorses 08-10-2009 11:26 AM

Sweet Iron, without a doubt. If I couldn't find a particular bit with sweet iron, my second choice is copper.

upnover 08-10-2009 05:06 PM

whatever that particular horse likes the most! my favorite universal bit is a Herm Sprenger which is made up of some alloy called Aurigon. But I have a sweet iron that lots of horses seem to go nicely in as well. I figure as long as the horse is happy and and going well in it AND it's not cheap (can't stand cheap bits) it's a good bit.

smrobs 08-10-2009 07:08 PM

On all my horses now, I use a sweet iron with copper inlay. They all seem to like it well. However, I did have 1 horse a long time ago who would refuse anything except stainless. He was kindof a wierdo though. LOL

rocky pony 08-11-2009 03:51 AM

I prefer sweet iron, with stainless steel as my second choice.

StormyBlues 08-11-2009 02:12 PM

Blue goes stainless steal for jumping and a rubber happy mouth for dressage. Geoffery uses a stainless steal for both