The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   English + Mecate Reins (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/english-mecate-reins-33536/)

vivache 08-09-2009 07:15 PM

English + Mecate Reins

Equals no, right? :P The bridle I was using on Razz got left on a neighbor's trailer after a show. It had a nice full cheek bit on it. I had 3 options: tom thumb, twisted wire(Neither of these were used by any other horse), or a D-ring snaffle, but I had to use mecate reins. That was fine.. except that they were the 12 foot long ones and I was riding English. So here I am, trying to figure out what to do with the lead rope portion.. I ended up holding it as 2nd reins and keeping a fairly loose rein so I could steer, but I didn't drop any and let him step in them, especially with us doing so much trotting and cantering.

Has anyone figured out a way to use them with an English saddle, or is it pretty much a no-go? I loved the feel, and Razz does very well with the whippersnapper thing(he was having a little fit and wanting to plant his feet, and I had to use the rope part), but I can just use other means..

Scoutrider 08-09-2009 07:40 PM

There is a way to safely loop the lead end through your belt loops, but I couldn't find a picture. It's really important that it be right, though, so that you aren't dragged should you fall.

I have a grab strap on the front of my English saddle, I think if I used mecate reins I would just loop the lead through the grab strap.

smrobs 08-10-2009 12:11 AM

Do you wear a belt while riding english? If you do, then you can just loop the extra through your belt. You can also tie it around his neck. I will try to find the site where it explains it.

Here it is
Instructions for Knots Used for Tying Lead or Mecate End for Riding