The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Navicular and saddle weight? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/navicular-saddle-weight-33539/)

MoonlightEm 08-09-2009 07:48 PM

Navicular and saddle weight?

My horse was recently diagnosed with navicular. I've got eggbar shoes on him and on a low dose of bute. He's not lame with this treatment. My question is about my saddle. I have a wonderful Crates reining saddle to trailride in but it weighs 32 lbs. Is this too heavy for a horse with navicular? Does extra weight make it more difficult for them? I've tried to google this question but I haven't found any answers. So thought I'd ask here.

dakota 08-09-2009 09:31 PM

My horse has navicular and I never thought about weight. I only ride with an english saddle but interesting to ask the vet concerning weight. I have regular shoes and pads on him with low dose of bute when needed. He is doing well.

dee 08-09-2009 11:42 PM

I would think it would be less of an issue with the saddle weight as it would be an issue of combined weight - saddle and rider. I agree with dakota - check with your vet regarding weight limits...

smrobs 08-09-2009 11:50 PM

I don't think the weight of the saddle really has much to do with it. Flash was diagnosed with navicular about 21 years ago and was never ridden in anything except a roping saddle (averages 45 lbs). I think it is more about how they are ridden and the type of terrain they are ridden on. Very rough or steep terrain tended to aggravate his or if we asked him to really run or if he was roped off of as he got older. I would give him some time with very little or no work to let the initial inflammation go down and get him off the bute, then just start slowly and keep a close eye to measure what he can do. I think your saddle will work fine so don't worry about it.