The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   prep for a 2010 baby helpful kind comments appreciated. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/prep-2010-baby-helpful-kind-comments-33587/)

aruraeclipse 08-10-2009 02:35 PM

prep for a 2010 baby helpful kind comments appreciated.

Hello Everybody,
I thought that I would share that I just got my mare bred, My mare Eclipse, she's going to be due the end of June or the beginning of July of next year! I got her bred to a stud named Chums Black Chip (Reg. QH), beautiful black with a star and one hind half sock. Eclipse(grade half canadian, half QH) my mare is black with just a star, but I'm interested to see what color both of them are going to throw, Chip threw a lot of color so far, and Eclipse's mom is a Pal.

Right now I Have had her on whole oats, 2oz of sunflower oil and 2oz of white vinegar per day (vinegar for the flies). She has been de-wormed regularly, and I was just wondering what other people use out there for their mares during the stages of pregnancy? I have a feeling that she should be getting more than this now, She does get alfalpha cubes and great hay every day.

she is a maiden mare, and I'm going to be there through out her whole pregnancy, and going to try and be there for the birthing process. I don't want to get in the way or interupt, but I want to be there for her if anything were ever to happen. There is going to be a seperate little pen for her when she is close to the time, and there is going to be access to a box stall for her so she can decide if she wants to be in or out.

My history with a pregnant mare: I use to have a horse named GLH Kittyhawk registered half arabian, I got her bred for the first time when she was 8 years old, I was looking after her, and she had a huge box stall in the barn it was about 12x12, I slept in for one day and my father just thought that she had to be out in the large pasture, because she didn't show any signs of having a baby, I knew that she was going to within the 2 weeks because she had wax on her teets. She went to the furthest back part of the field and had the baby, she was also a maiden mare and didn't know what to do, she ran down the to corner of her pasture, and started hollering till she saw me, I raced out and she led me up over the field, I believe her baby wasn't able to rupture the sac, It was passed when I got up to it. I was giving it cpr, leg pumps and everything to try to bring it back but couldn't. That little filly would have been really cute, born a red roan probably would have greyed out like her mother, with 2 back socks and a blaze.

This is part of the reason I'm leaving work for about a month or more, however long it takes, when my mare is coming close to due, I'm having my vet on call and want to do the best I can so the mare and the baby has the best odds. Comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading!

ilovemyPhillip 08-10-2009 03:51 PM

Hmm, unsure of what to say, but good luck!

aruraeclipse 08-11-2009 01:05 PM

Hey! Thank you very much ILovemyphillip! muchly appreciated

cayuseranch 08-11-2009 02:13 PM

Congratulations and good luck. I would highly recommend putting your mare on marestare next year, I put my mare on it and it was inexpensive but well worth it. I would have paid more easily.

Second on the color thing, I recommend this website.
Color Calculator

aruraeclipse 08-11-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cayuseranch (Post 374913)
Congratulations and good luck. I would highly recommend putting your mare on marestare next year, I put my mare on it and it was inexpensive but well worth it. I would have paid more easily.

Second on the color thing, I recommend this website.
Color Calculator

Thank you very much, this was greatly appreciated, Very helpful too!

HalfPass 08-11-2009 04:38 PM

Hello!
Well I am so sorry you had the experience of loosing a foal. That is too bad.
((((cyber hugs))))
I think one of the best ways to learn is to read and ask your vet lots of questions.
My dad was a TB breeder but his mares always foaled of the property with the exception of one early morning surprise! He has had the unfortunate experience to find one in a situation similar to yours.
My dad always seemed to feed alfalfa 3 times a day along with some type of suppliments. He kept very detailed records and also had the proper vet checks along the way. Then of course all the regular things that a horse needs...worming vaccinations hoof care etc.
One thing you can do if the horse is on your property is to have a camera on in the horses stall during the night so that you can see what is going on. If this is not an option you can always go the less expensive route and purchase a device similar to a baby monitor. That way you can at least hear what is going on as the due date nears!
How exciting for you! I wish you all the luck and can not wait to share the experience. If you have any questions in particular PM me and I can shoot my dad an e-mail and see if he or I can answer the question...
All the best!
Half Pass

CheyAut 08-11-2009 06:32 PM

Hello! You won't need to feed her any differently until the latter part of her pregnancy.

I HIGHLY recomend you get and read read read the following books, which I re-read every foaling season:

The Complete Foaling Manual

The Complete Book of Foaling

You can get them used on Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more

Barrelracer Up 08-12-2009 12:58 AM

My mares are fed Ultium (6 lbs or so a day normally), Broodmare until 9 months along, and Bloom or Oil.
At 9 months along I switch to Orange and continue the Bloom or Oil. The foal will pull most if not all of the omega 3 from the mare.

I have also become a fan of 911 for probiotics and getting better feed utilization - I can cut back the ultium to 4 lbs a day on most of my horses and continue pasture turnout and hay in the stall.

When prepping for the breeding season I put my open mares and my stud on Breeder's Choice instead of Orange by Nov of prior to the breeding year. I also put them under lights at that time. I switch to broodmare when they are confirmed in foal. I have not had any or anyone have issues with using yucca when bred. Don't give Devil's Claw to bred mares.

aruraeclipse 08-12-2009 09:37 AM

Thank you very much barrelracer up,cheyaut, and halfpass, that was all really great information, glad that I'm not alone here, and that there is always lots of information out there on the subject! Yet again thank you and I'll keep all the information in mind, that way I better my chances at a good successful rate. Take care, and have a good one! :)