The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   mud fever??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/mud-fever-3360/)

karkar27 09-14-2007 08:00 PM

mud fever???

my friend is away and i have to ''look after'' her horses until they came back...but b4 they left he had mud fever and still does but its sorta getting worse than b4 ...wat do i do to help it do i brush it out and then leave it to grow back(the hairs) or is there any cream or somthing that could help me...

Vidaloco 09-14-2007 09:07 PM

My horse gets this and the vet told me to put anything on it that will block moisture. vasaline, bag balm. I clean it off first with betadine shampoo and let it dry and then put on a 3 way antibiotic/antimicrobial salve. Since you are just horse sitting I would see it they have any vasaline you could slather on.

karkar27 09-15-2007 05:25 PM

ok sure thing

koolies thnx

LuLu 09-16-2007 10:23 AM

Washing the legs with Teatree Oil Shampoo, and then applying a Mud Gard cream is supposed to be really good for mud fever.

meggymoo 09-16-2007 12:58 PM

One of mine tend to get it in the wet months. I normally use hibiscrub or anyother anti-bacterial shampoo. Scrub the infected areas until all scabs have gone and then apply a nappyrash cream. I use sudocrem. Works wonders.

karkar27 09-17-2007 04:16 AM

kk

thnx heaps

appylover31803 09-18-2007 06:32 PM

My app had mud fever soon after i got her it was all swollen and really hurt her. I read up on mud fever, or scratches and found out that if the leg starts to swell, you need a vet in there right away. Well i called the vet, she gave me cream to put on it and also a steriod to put into her food to help give it a jump start. It cleared up in a few days and havent come back yet. Also if you can, clean the area off with water and dry it with a towel. Also make sure she isn't in mud when she's turned out.

kinky_oz69 09-24-2007 08:21 PM

this might make me sound stupid but whats mud fever??

horsemiracles 09-26-2007 10:02 PM

There are no such thing as stupid questions! :D
Mud fever occurs when bacteria make their way into small scratches and breaks in the skin around a horse's pastern or heel. The legs swell, get hot, and become very painful to the horse. My big gelding gets this once every couple of years. I try to nip it in the bud when I see the first signs but I usually end up having my vet out to give him antibiotics. This last year was horrible, as my barn burned, and I had to repasture quickly in the middle of winter. A wet year, and a new barn in a poorly drained field were a bad combination. Betadine scrubs can be helpful! Good luck! -M

kinky_oz69 09-27-2007 09:33 AM

thanks for letting me know