The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Your first fall and your worst fall. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/your-first-fall-your-worst-fall-336202/)

sorrel Thoroughbreds 12-29-2013 05:18 PM

Your first fall and your worst fall.

I think it would be fun to share stories about the first time you fell off your horse. Or one of the worst falls you have had. I'll start.

My very first fall:
It was a very windy day 50-60 MPH wind. Me and Rusty were rounding the corner on the trail and I was looking behind me to see if there were any cars then all the sudden he spooked and jump out to the side. I fell on the ground I look up and he is starring down at me as if to say "what happened? Why are you on the ground?" Turns out he spooked at a black car he or I was not expecting to come around the corner.

Worst fall: Just the other day on Christmas. He was nervous and excited all at once due to our neighbors having fun outside. I was riding Rusty in the pasture and he was bring perfect. I was trotting him then all the sudden he went into a lope. I could not stop him. He suddenly stopped and I went over his head and summer salted twice landing on my back.

I was fine both times, just a little sore! :)

HeroMyOttb 12-29-2013 05:58 PM

I right now can not think of my first fall off the top of my head.

But one of my worst falls was my first fall off my Thoroughbred over four years ago.

It was only our second ride since I got him off the track just a few days after his last race. Hero was nice and calm but was very distracted with the new surroundings and the new slow pace. We were just plodding along at a trot when all of sudden I had no horse under me. I still remember that very vividly. One moment I was on my horses back and next moment I was just chilling in the air. My horse being the clutz he was tripped over his legs and fell. I fell down back onto to him. Hit the saddle and Hero's hind end was up higher then his front end..so I was kind of catapulted over Hero's head and landed in front of him.

I remember I saw him falling towards me, and I was thinking... well this is it, my horse is going to land on me. Then I blinked and Hero was just standing by me. So I was lucky and Hero was able to get back to his feet quickly.

It was not super bad but it was most certainly scary.

BornToRun 12-29-2013 06:14 PM

I can't think of my first fall either ... this is going to bother me for the rest of the night.

My worst fall was during the summer, when my parents and I went out for a bareback hack. My gelding spooked at something and bolted, and being the lead horse, the other two followed suit. I fell off my mare, cracked my head of the ground and fractured a vertebrae in my lower spine.

Eole 12-29-2013 06:15 PM

First fall: during a lesson in winter in an indoor arena. I had stopped and was totally daydreaming while my instructor was taking a phone call. Snow fell from the roof, horse spooked sideway... no more horse under me... rider on the ground.:shock: Instructor said: your first fall? When you reach seven, you're a real rider! :D Lesson learned: don't daydream while on a horse!

Worst fall (I had a hard time choosing...)
In winter, during a snow storm in an indoor arena, end of private lesson on a friend's older morgan that didn't like to canter. Arena space is very small, dark, a young boarder decides to gallop where we are riding, two dogs are fighting in the middle of the ring. And the instructor is insisting that I canter my horses once more before we quit. The horse is annoyed and I'm tired.

I was cantering on the right lead towards the wall, the horse saw the other horse cantering towards us and veered left at the last minute. I flew on the wall. Instructor says: "you're fine, do you want to get back on?" as I'm in a heap in the sand, trying to catch my wind and wondering if every limb is still moving. No thanks, just driving home was torture. Had 2 broken ribs.

My bad falls were almost all on unknown horses, with little known instructors. Each time I KNEW something wasn't right before it happened and was too shy to say so. I learned to speak up, for my own safety because instructors aren't sitting on that horse, but I am and should trust what I feel.

Rideordie112 12-29-2013 06:31 PM

First fall: I was jumping on my little Arab bareback, and a friend thought I needed a boost, and pushed me over the horses back, attempte to catch my leg, and dropped me anyways. (Does that count?)

Worst fall: I was riding a horse named Rafeal through one of the pastures and he was acting up a bit. We had to ride under this one tree with very low hanging branches, and as soon as we got under it he decided to buck and rear, I would've rode it out, except one buck sent my back straight into one if the branches, I fell over his head, did a flip and landed on my cut up back in a pile of those pokey seed pod things. Not fun. Darn horse ran away too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dawn854 12-29-2013 06:44 PM

My first fall was off a sour school horse. I can't remember much about it, I was pretty young, but I remember when he bucked me off. His name was Sir. Hehe.

My worst fall ... in terms of injury, one of my worst falls happened when my friend was boosting me onto her horse, and we didn't coordinate properly. I ended up sitting behind the saddle, and the horse bolted forward, bucking. I came off him backwards and his hindquarters smacked upwards into my jaw as I slid off his hind end. Broken jaw, and TMD for the rest of my life.

My most painful fall happened this year. My horse was bucking every time I asked him to canter, and he finally got me off his back. I landed on my ankle and tore a ligament. IT HURTS TO TEAR A LIGAMENT. It took me a while to compose myself and catch up my horse again!

Golden Horse 12-29-2013 06:50 PM

First, Truly I have no idea, it was way back in the mists of time.

My worst, the last one July 1st this year. Went to get on my guy from a mounting block, the saddle slipped, he freaked and I don't remember much more.

Next thing was waking up hurting, in what has since been described to me as an impact crater, impressive because of the hardness of the ground. Broken collar bone, and multiple breaks of multiple ribs, and a collapsed lung. On the other side broken wrist, also nerve damage to one knee, and ongoing dizziness from the blow to the head. Still trying to recover from that one:oops:

bkylem 12-29-2013 06:51 PM

Okay, if I don't know I'm not hesitant to ask .. . . . a TMD ?

Thanks

armyrdr 12-29-2013 07:04 PM

Hmm.. My first fall... Idk.
Worst fall and reading the stories before mine I'm extremely lucky in my 15 years of riding. I was riding bareback in a state park known for bike traffic. He saw the bikes, heard the bikes, and still spooked. Threw me, I landed on the wrist and for the first time he ran off and left me. The biker stopped and asked if I was alright. I thought broke my my wrist and definitely twisted my ankle. When my horse showed up with no rider another woman riding that day came to find me in her car.
When I got home we determined my wrist was just sprained. And then I had to leave to go train for my enlistment in the Army. They were less than thrilled that I was injured.
Posted via Mobile Device

BornToRun 12-29-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Horse (Post 4406698)
First, Truly I have no idea, it was way back in the mists of time.

My worst, the last one July 1st this year. Went to get on my guy from a mounting block, the saddle slipped, he freaked and I don't remember much more.

Next thing was waking up hurting, in what has since been described to me as an impact crater, impressive because of the hardness of the ground. Broken collar bone, and multiple breaks of multiple ribs, and a collapsed lung. On the other side broken wrist, also nerve damage to one knee, and ongoing dizziness from the blow to the head. Still trying to recover from that one:oops:

:shock: ... holy balls