The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Pasture care-Help the Weeds are too MUCH (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/pasture-care-help-weeds-too-much-3364/)

sjdennis 09-15-2007 01:48 PM

Pasture care-Help the Weeds are too MUCH

:o Help me please. We just moved into some property, about 2 or 3 acres, but the weeds are taking over. They are very Tall and kind of like a feathery fern. We live in northern Florida, My husband mows the field, but they grow way too fast. Can we use something like a weed killer, and keep the horse out for a while? If so how long? If not, any suggestions?

Susan

TxHorseMom 09-15-2007 11:00 PM

Your best bet is to ask your local Ag extension office, or local feed store. They will know what kills your type of weeds the best. Some weed killers you can leave your horses on, some you remove for as little as 1 day some as long as a week. It should say on the bottle, but you can ask the person you are buying it from. (your feed store person. or tractor supply)

Ryle 09-20-2007 11:04 AM

Yep, you need to check with your ag extension agent on products to use on your pasture and withdrawl times for your horses. But otherwise have your husband keep mowing really regularly. (I have found that if I just mow for an hour a day 3-4 days a week I can keep up with the pasture mowing without feeling like it's such a chore.) And continue mowing until it gets cold and things stop growing because this will cut down on the number of weeds you will have next year by cutting down on the plants' ability to "reseed".
Really regular mowing also seems harder on the weeks and lets the grass have more of a fighting chance. ;)

If you could see the difference in my pasture and my neighbor's pasture you wouldn't believe that all I've done differently from them is mow regularly. It's amazing.