The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Looking for a English Riding Instructor *Help* (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/looking-english-riding-instructor-%2Ahelp%2A-33663/)

CowGirlUp9448 08-11-2009 05:19 PM

Looking for a English Riding Instructor *Help*

I live in a Western populated town and am wanting to find an English riding instrutor, as you may have already guessed they are few and far in between lol. I am going to place ads on VirginiaEquestrian.com and Craigslist.com hoping to find an instructor. If anyone on here know's of any in Virginia please feel free to let me know :)

I want to know what I should ask when looking for an Instructor? Or when I write the ad what should I say in it? These will be the first lessons I have EVER had. My dad taught me to ride Western and I mainly trail ride. I have also barrel raced and done some other "rodeo" type classes as well as several types of pleasure classes. But I have never had a real lesson so I am lost when it comes to finding one.

Another thing... I am a bigger rider and I want the instructor I get to be "Plus-sized-rider-friendly" if you know what I mean. And as far as that goes.. How would I ask if they are or how would I know if they are?

Anyother advise/tips or anything you would want to tell me would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks so much.

StormyBlues 08-11-2009 05:55 PM

There are ALOT of riders up there right now because winter isn't there yet! I would check the USEA site, and the USHJA site, they could help alot! And I most instuructors shouldn't bash you about your weight! You should make sure the insturctor is certified and trains beginners. Good luck!

lovemyponies 08-11-2009 05:58 PM

usually you can google riding instructors and put in your town or county and come up with local listings

welshpony15 08-11-2009 07:30 PM

I just did a google search as lovemyponies suggested and a whole bunch of riding schools/instructors came up in one of the first links :) I think it was www.newhorse (something or other). I typed in 'riding instructors in virginia'.

CowGirlUp9448 08-11-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormyBlues (Post 375149)
There are ALOT of riders up there right now because winter isn't there yet! I would check the USEA site, and the USHJA site, they could help alot! And I most instuructors shouldn't bash you about your weight! You should make sure the insturctor is certified and trains beginners. Good luck!

What do you mean by there are a lot of riders up there right now? LOL

CowGirlUp9448 08-11-2009 07:34 PM

lovemyponies: Thanks I will try it :)

Welshpony15: Thanks I will go and have a look :)

Anyone know what I should ask when I am looking for a potential instructor?

lovemyponies 08-11-2009 07:50 PM

I would definitely ask their background, their approach to instruction, go visit them, watch a lesson, see how the barn is, etc.

CowGirlUp9448 08-11-2009 07:56 PM

I took your advise and googled for instructors. I only found one I like and I messaged them through that site. They seemed nice :) We shall see where it goes :)

lovemyponies 08-11-2009 07:59 PM

talk to the students when you visit too, are you going to be using your own horse or theirs? if so check out their horses... that makes a huge diference.

CowGirlUp9448 08-11-2009 08:02 PM

I want to find one that will let me use my mare. I don't feel right on just any horse so she is perfect lol