The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Groundwork ideas (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/groundwork-ideas-33686/)

boxer 08-11-2009 10:47 PM

Groundwork ideas

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering what everyone her does for groundwork with there horses as I am just learning. My mare doesn't have any huge behavioural issues but I would like her to have more respect for me as the alpha and for us to have a closer bond. I have learnt about making her back up if she does the wrong thing and this has been working well with personal space issues. She also has learnt to stand and ground tie but still needs more work on this. She also lunges well but does not always listen as well as she should. I have read about a method for teaching her to drop her head and I'm going to try this tomorrow and then I'm going to try so flexing from side to side. I'm also going to try to get her to move as soon as I ask and really start listening to me and following my body (although this will involve me learning as much as her lol).

What do you all do?

Just as a note, although I respct those who do join up I myself do not follow this principle so I hope no-one tries to push this upon me.

Spirithorse 08-11-2009 10:50 PM

I do Parelli. You start in Level 1 which is very basic, getting respect and control and working your way up to Level 4 which is very complex and high level maneuvers. I work a horse online and at Liberty in Levels 1-4.

boxer 08-11-2009 11:00 PM

Can you explain what some of the things you do are?

Spirithorse 08-11-2009 11:11 PM

Level 1 consists of the 7 Games. There is a ton of literature on that! In Level 2 you move on to a 22 ft. line, change of direction at walk and trot, transitions, introducing Liberty work, sideways without a fence, holding the tongue, lots of other things....Level 3 is flying lead changes online, more advanced Liberty work, working on a 45 ft line, backing by the tail, more complicated transitions (such as halt-cante, canter-halt), jumping higher things, sideways at trot....Level 4 is driving your horse from behind doing anything you can think of....going over jumps, transitins, weave patterns, doing Liberty anywhere and everywhere and having your horse stay with you at all 3 gaits....it's hard to explain what all you can do because the ideas are ENDLESS! You can go on YouTube and see what it looks like, that would be good.

boxer 08-13-2009 08:01 PM

any more ideas anyone?

so far I have:

backing up
backing up in a circle
leading from both sides (she acts as though she has never been lead from the right)
learning head-down
ground tieing
obstacle course (yesterday did walk over a rug, board and plastic tarp)
walking out on trails
free jumping
leading at trot