The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   How calm is your horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/how-calm-your-horse-33694/)

Domino13011 08-12-2009 12:28 AM

How calm is your horse?

If you could rate your horses calmness from 1-10 what would it be? Please post your number and a story that explains your number?

7- The reason I pick 7 for my horse because the other day he decided he didnt want to get back in the trailer so he took off and ran ALL the way home.:shock:

sandy2u1 08-12-2009 12:34 AM

I rate my horse about an 8 when he is rode every day. I rate him about a 4 when he has had a couple of days off or more. I guess he just gets to much energy built up if he has a few days off and it makes him skittish and jumpy.

1dog3cats17rodents 08-12-2009 12:37 AM

Ben- are negative numbers an option? lol, no he's probably a 1 or 2 (and he's a 4 year old OTTB, lol)

Painter-6/7 Even when's he's good, he could go for hours and come out fresh as a daisy

Trump-1. What is it with these OTTBs? You pratically have to carry him

CowGirlUp9448 08-12-2009 12:44 AM

Rain is a 1. Nothing at all phases her. She has had shotguns shot off her back. Been ridden up beside moving vehicles and all kinds of things... She just takes everything in and keeps going lol

sandy2u1 08-12-2009 12:52 AM

when I posted I thought 1 meant terrified of everything and 10 meant as calm as they get?

smrobs 08-12-2009 02:20 AM

^^ That is kinda what I was beginning to wonder ;p. I think the OP meant it like they have on the sale sites: 1= bombproof, 10= almost unmanageable.

Denny: 10, he was horribly abused before I got him and I made some mistakes on his training. As a result, he is still very touchy and terrified of men (from previous owner) and he is very hot (because of me). I would never be able to sell him (even if I wanted to) because I don't think anyone else would be able to handle his little quirks. My biggest fear would be that he would be labelled a "killer" end up in a dog food can.

Dobe: Depends on who is riding him. If it is me or Dad, 7. He is a very responsive horse who doesn't need much urging to pick up the pace. However, he is incredibly broke and will stay in a gait until I tell him to change it. If my Mom or step-mom is on him, he is about a 3. Perfectly content just to plod along with his head hanging; but he is still very responsive.

John: 8 because he is showing very studly attitude problems and is very green broke with only about 7 rides on him (done in Jan and Feb).

Flipper: 9. He was very spoiled by previous owner who used him for barrels and poles and parades. He would get hot and mad then throw himself down on top of the rider. Got him over most of that though but he is still pretty prancy and gets hot easily.

Koda: 4. He is very layed back considering no more training than he really has on him. Over the last year, he only has maybe 75 rides scattered out here and there.

Nester: 1 unless you have something flapping around like a plastic bag or flag then he may get to a 4. He is terrified of those. Other than that, he is the type of horse that you can turn a novice child loose on and be comfortable.

Flash: No longer ridden but he was a 2. Very dog broke and perfect for novice riders but with just a bit of urging would remember his younger days as a roping horse and scoot.

Sis: No longer ridden but she was a 6. Very broke but ornery. She would just decide that it was time to crow hop at the most inappropriate times. It was nothing malicious, just feeling good. She was a hot horse by nature and was never suitable for less than an intermediate rider.

savvylover112 08-12-2009 05:30 AM

i dont know wat to put for phoebe normally she is calm and is about a 3 wen she is doin showjumping she is bout a 6 and wen she is on a trek on the roads on her own she is about an 8 lol

myQHpaul 08-12-2009 05:51 AM

paul=2 He is one of the calmest horses at the barn. we went for a trail ride last week and he crossed water for the first time. on the return trip, he got hock deep into the mud. instead of panicking and thrashing around, he just kinda stood there a minute and then took a few hops out. no big deal. after that, i leaned over and told him that i trust him with my life.

the only time he gets jumpy is when he sees the calves in the field. he's a cutting horse so this doesn't surprise me.

iridehorses 08-12-2009 07:12 AM

I would say that Boomer is a 2. Nothing much phases him on the trail or ground. He is a lazy when you first get one but picks up his pace with urging. He is fairly fearless but when he does come across something that does cause a problem, he actually shakes with fear. He doesn't take off, but will stand there and shake. He gets over it with a lot of encouragement. Overall he is pretty good for a 7 year old.

(BTW, typically the range for measuring a horse's temperament goes from 1 - 4 with 1 being the calmest)

close2prfct 08-12-2009 08:12 AM

Sis-: 12 yrs old ,3-4 very calm and responsive in the saddle, a child with minimal experience could ride her. On the ground she is still very calm but will toss her head & walk away from you if she doesn't want you to bother her. She can also be a pain to load due to a mishap unloading. She slipped on the wet floor and from that point on she puts up a fight when its time to load.
Jazz: almost 4 yrs old, 2 she's not broke to ride so not sure how she will be then but on the ground nothing phases her. She is the only one I trust completely around very small children they can hang off her tug her tail, whatever she doesn't freak out. Occasionally there is a monster in the feed bucket though.
Justice: They baby he's 2 and intact. Not broke yet but very VERY laid back you can do anything with him he doesn't care he's still very babyish acting always looking to see what you are doing or where you are going. He does tend to get scared at a lot of things although his personality is very calm its all that new stuff that he's unsure about so I'd say around a 5.
Misty: 7 yr old, 9 I don't trust her no further than I could throw her she is very unruly and needs a ton of work. Supposed to have been ridden in the past but I highly doubt it. I think even when she is retrained she will still be a handful and will require an experienced rider.