The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Jumping Again (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/jumping-again-337025/)

Bagheera 12-30-2013 11:04 PM

Jumping Again

I have my first jumping lesson on Friday in a year and a half. I am super nervous and I have no idea why. I switched to dressage right when I stopped jumping and it is still going to be my primary focus. I shouldn't be nervous. I spent 14 years jumping horses, I was a junior amateur jumper rider, taught lessons for a time, and have trained multiple horses. I shouldn't be nervous about this, but I am. Maybe I'm just worried that I won't be as good as I used to be? I don't know. Sorry for the rant.

Yogiwick 12-31-2013 01:03 AM

Don't worry about it. I jumped for the first time in probably 10 years a couple months ago, on a horse I barely new, that doesn't really jump... and it was fine. (I never really jumped in the first place and it was my first time every in a show over a course!) It comes right back. You also said "lesson" which implies you have been unofficially jumping too. Don't stress too much, just mention it's been awhile and you have some fine tuning to do, I bet you'll surprise yourself.

Bagheera 12-31-2013 07:54 PM

Thanks! I feel a bit better about it. I'm glad to know it comes back to you.

Bagheera 01-03-2014 11:16 PM

You were 100% right. The lesson went great! It also helped that the horse spooked at the back door. That made me forget I was nervous and forced me to focus on my riding instead! :)

Yogiwick 01-04-2014 01:12 AM

That's AWESOME! I was soooo nervous too I just pointed at the jump and grabbed mane...and sailed over quite smoothly. The issue was the second jump I felt more confident and tried to help correct her (she jumps like she is diving off a cliff..landings are rough) and got pulled out of the saddle lol, kept my balance though! One of the weird times spooking is a good thing. Sometimes it's better to just not think about stuff.

Thanks for the update!

Bagheera 01-04-2014 08:32 PM

Thanks for the moral support! I super appreciate it! :)