The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   training for eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/training-eventing-33706/)

smilin1590 08-12-2009 07:42 AM

training for eventing

Anybody have any suggestions on how to get my horse extremely fit for eventing? I ride him all the time but I want to get him in SUPER good shape. Any flatwork routines you would suggest, time limits I should ride him for, or actual exercises I could do with him while riding or on the ground.

MIEventer 08-12-2009 08:00 AM

Lots, and lots and lots and lots of hacking. Nothing better than going on hours of trail rides. It is about strengthening the lungs, it is about strengthening the heart.

Hacking - LOTS of it.

StormyBlues 08-13-2009 01:31 PM

TROT SETS!!!!!! Ten minutes of trot, five minutes of walk, ten minutes of trot, five minutes of walk then your done for the day! It will be REALLY hard on the horse at first, but ir really helps with stamina. You can also go into your two point while doing them to help your stamina too!

drafteventer 08-13-2009 02:10 PM

I agree with MIEventer, hacking is great for getting your horse into shape, and it's pretty fun also :).

MIEventer 08-13-2009 02:35 PM

Hacking is the best exercise - mentally and physically for a horse. There is lots you can do while out on a 2 - 4 hour hack. You can also work on your stamina. Eventing is about both horse and rider being fully conditioned.

Your horse has to beable to canter a course fully prepared, and so do you. It takes allot of work remaining in 2 point between the fences, and allot of physical stamina for you to beable to sit, drive and get your horse over that fence solidly.

While you are conditioning your horse, you should also be conditioning yourself. Jogging, swimming, walking - whatever it takes to build your heart and your lungs up. Hours apon hours, apon hours of two point work.

Also, conditioning depends on what level you are doing. If you are doing BN, don't worry about being fully conditioned like you would fine a T horse to be, or a P horse to be. The courses are meant to be welcoming, inviting and fun. Strait forward, no difficult terrain. Just simple.

So your ride times should reflect what level you are doing for the season.

~~

I hack lots. I love to be out on the trails.

What I do is start out for a good walk. Momentum, tempo, rhythm - no la de da'ing around. Get that back end working. I walk for a good 20 minutes. Then I ask for trot. My trots are always in 2 point *legs stuck at girth, heels taking bodies weight, seat pushed back towards cantle* do a good 5 minute trot.

Back to walk. Walk for another good 20 mintues, or until your horses breathing slows down back to normal and he/she is ready to go again. Back to trot, 5 minutes. Back to walk.

Remember, it is about strengthening the lungs and the heart. Don't ask for too much the first few days. Then increase the increments slowly. From 5, to 6, to 7 and eventually to 10 eventually to 20. Don't push it, always keep an eye on what your horse is telling you physically.

Find hills, find water - all great things to ride over/in.

Hills, walk up. walk back down. Then trot up, walk back down - eventually increase to canter up, walk back down.

Slowly, steady, continuously.

Eventually you will beable to get to 10 min trots, to even 20 minute trots. 5 walk, 10 minute canters, 5 walk. But slowly - get there slowly. You don't want to give them a bloody heart atack the first week. Slowly and surely, steady and continuously.

StormyBlues 08-13-2009 03:37 PM

I would hack but I have nowhere to do it. :( Just a big fat feild

savvylover112 08-13-2009 03:45 PM

i love big fat fields lol

StormyBlues 08-13-2009 03:47 PM

It's great for galloping! not much a change of seinery though

MIEventer 08-13-2009 04:01 PM

I am sure you can do allot out in a big fat field, but I understand the frustration. It gets really monotonous after a while and wears thin quickly.

I cannot stand working in an arena, I get tired of it fast. I can only do arena work once a day, and if I am stuck in a small area, I go stir crazy.

I have to beable to get out on the trails. Nelson's personallity is 10x better for it. We love to Cap with the Fox Hunters when we can, do Hunter Paces and just haul away with a friend to public trails.

1dog3cats17rodents 08-13-2009 04:04 PM

I wish I could trail ride! We don't have anywhere to trail ride, so I do all arena work