The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Help my horses are losing weight and i dont know why!!!!!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-my-horses-losing-weight-i-33707/)

HorsesHorses08 08-12-2009 08:02 AM

Help my horses are losing weight and i dont know why!!!!!!!

Ok i brought both of my horses home and they were doing fine, settling in fine, i was able to ride, everything, and they are losing weight????? They were getting 1 scoop of grain and they had plenty of nice green in the pasture and they would still be losing weight. The one is a TB so you can really see the difference on her but i uped their grain to 2 scoops a day and they get as much hay as they want and i am not seeing any more weight loss but i am not seeing an improvment.. I dont know what to do!!!!!

Help!!!!!!!

nldiaz66 08-12-2009 08:10 AM

Are your horses getting worked more now? I know the more I work my QH he will drops pounds,too. I just increase his grain and he is fine. Maybe add some beet pulp to his grain...

MIEventer 08-12-2009 08:13 AM

Have their teeth been done? Have they been wormed?

I would have a Vet come out and asess the situation and see what can be done.

PaintHorseMares 08-12-2009 08:26 AM

You probably want to have the vet do a quick check, but if it's just been since moving them/bring them home, it may still be due to environment change... anxiety, change in (pasture) diet, work, etc.
...and my experience has been that they can lose weight a lot faster than they can put it on.

themacpack 08-12-2009 08:30 AM

What type of "grain" are you feeding? "Scoop" isn't really descriptive - weigh the grain and see how much actual weight of the grain they are getting. What type of hay is it you are feeding? When were they last wormed or floated? What is their work like now vs. before?

lovemyponies 08-12-2009 08:37 AM

is it the exact same feed? Were you the one feeding them or was someone else? Is the grass the same type? Is the hay the exact same kind?

HorsesHorses08 08-12-2009 08:41 AM

yes the grain is the same and so is the hay because we buy from the same place and there has been a vet check done when we brought them home...they get wormed every other month..as for the grain i dont really know what "type" it is we just did as she said and he was doing great on it at her barn and im just getting a little worried....

lovemyponies 08-12-2009 08:45 AM

do you have a before and after picture?

Jillyann 08-12-2009 08:46 AM

Are they being worked more now that they are with you? That could be causing it as well.

themacpack 08-12-2009 08:52 AM

How long has it been since the tranistion? How long has it been since they reached the plateau of maintaining the weight they are at now?