The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Sunburn on horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/sunburn-horses-33713/)

CowGirlUp9448 08-12-2009 10:45 AM

Sunburn on horses?

My mare just came back from pasture and she has sunburn on her face and her shoulder. What can I put on it to help it heal? What should I put on her to keep her from getting burnt? Those are the only two places I have seen her get it. Her face is pretty bad. And seems a little sore. When I touch it she moves away from me. Any help would be appreciated.

xxBarry Godden 08-12-2009 11:17 AM

Horses with white blazes on the nose can be prone to sunburn. I use regular human sun tan lotion with the highest anti UV factor I can buy at a reasonable price.
Avoid giving the horse a sticky molasses based lick as that will stick to the affected area around the muzzle.
It worked with my horse but the problem was always around the muzzle not the shoulder.

In summer I turn her routine around and usually keep the horse in out of strong sunlight and put her out at night - it helps with the flies. If she does have to go out during a sunny day then I cover her up with a light reflective fly sheet. Sunburn is not funny for humans or horses.

Our big problem is that hereabouts we don't get that much sun.

Barry G

G and K's Mom 08-12-2009 11:25 AM

Zinc cream or aloe will help sooth the sun burn she has now. To prevent it from happening again do as Barry suggested and put sun screen on daily. If her body is burning, which is weird, a light weight breathable sheet would help.

iridehorses 08-12-2009 11:34 AM

Barry's advise is what I do also. For those areas on your horse already effected with sunburn, I would use Corona cream to help sooth the skin and help with the healing.

sherie 08-12-2009 11:35 AM

My senior Appy got his first sunburn this year on his nostrils and his upper lips. I felt horrible but he has never had this problem before. I put on triple antibotic cream and then used Aloe After Sun to ease it . It worked great. After the 2nd application of the aloe he would put his head over the fence for me to apply. I would put human sunscreen on in the am and then the aloe in the afternoon until it healed and now just the sunscreen in the am.
Hope your baby feels better soon.

PaintHorseMares 08-12-2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Godden (Post 375795)
Horses with white blazes on the nose can be prone to sunburn. I use regular human sun tan lotion with the highest anti UV factor I can buy at a reasonable price.

Our mainly white mare w/pink skin would get terribly burned out in the pasture. As Barry said, no need to spend a fortune....we use the generic, waterproof stuff for babies (SPF 60).

CowGirlUp9448 08-12-2009 12:30 PM

Okay thanks so much. I will try them and she what works best with her. She has high withers so it's more less on the side of her wither going down slightly. It only on her with parts with the pink underneath that she gets burned on. This is the first summer I've owned her and she was in pasture since May so I just seen it when my brother brought her home.