The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Attention! Who has a horse with a mane like these..... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/attention-who-has-horse-mane-like-3374/)

ShaniNev87 09-15-2007 09:49 PM

Attention! Who has a horse with a mane like these.....

:D Hello! Please see pics attached...i have an appy who has a super thick mane. I no wierd! Hes x thoroughbred though and i want to get his mane to look something similar to these. I dont know how they have done them though. Are they pulled and thinned or just cut??? Please if anyone does this to their horses...please let me know how...it would be super appreciatd. Ill get some pics of his mane atm....and how i can go about getting it looking spankin hot! Hahaha i have nothing else to do with this equine flu going round and all horses are in quarintine.http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/204_108644_1.jpg
http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/204_102974_1.jpg

sparky 09-16-2007 05:20 AM

to me it looks cut, possibly pulled as well. I tried this with my ASH and it didn't work, I ended up cutting the whole mane off because it just stood on end (thick mane!) :lol: I could probably do it with my appy since his mane sits really nice and flat on his neck, but he has a very fine appy mane, and I like it a bit longer.

Frog 09-17-2007 01:20 AM

Please what ever you do, do not cut your horses mane!! As stated above they just stand on end and look UG-LY!

If anything just pull sections at a time to thin and shorten the mane. Taking hold of the longer hairs then back combing the short ones and then pull the longer hairs out with a short sharp motion.

If your horses mane is really think then do thi over a period of time so that your horse does not get sore. Keep pulling out the longer hairs until you have the length that you require.

prettypalfrey 09-17-2007 08:37 AM

If you look at qh studs they usually have their manes done like this. They are actually buzzed off. I would suggest not doing it, the mane takes so long to grow back and then it looks horrible at the in between stage. Think before you do it.

Xanadu 09-17-2007 02:38 PM

I would agree... you'll have to pull it. OUCH!!

appylover31803 09-19-2007 11:15 PM

my apps mane is currently like a mohawk and i want it to lay down. I asked a few people at my barn and they said to band it, as it will make the hair start to go over. I would also suggest a mane tamer to get the mane to stay like that and then take off a little a time til its the length/look you want.

Delregans Way 09-20-2007 03:26 AM

Hello, i own a Quarab. I take him in led in ect. If your horse has long mane example 20cm long, i would cut it with sciccors to about a good 3 inches or so. Then start pulling. My Show horse, Billy has a very thick mane, and those pictures you showed us are a classic example how most quarter horses are prestented. Basically they do chop the mane straight, and they get little sections and put rubber bands in them, so they are seperated. I know a fair few breeders (qh) who show there horses like this. But yes as a Dressage and Hacking judge, i hate seeing bobby mane. :wink:

Tessa Bear 09-24-2007 03:54 PM

actually my paint looks just like the one in the second pic.

i just bought her so i diden't do the cutting/pulling.

i do know however that they cut it w/ thinning shears as to not get the choppy looks, her mane looks very nice and does not stick up at all.

this is what i would recomend. good luck to you!

and i would only do it if your horse has a pretty neck, if not i wouldent do it only b/c it will really draw attention to the neck and if its not so nice it kind of ruins the other parts if your horse as well.

ColleenT 09-24-2007 05:32 PM

NEVER EVER cut a mane, thinking it will look good.

pulling a mane involves thinning it out WHILE shortening it. you can't do that with scissors. have a trainer or instructor show you how to pull a mane properly. Thinning shears do not work with horse manes.

ShaniNev87 09-27-2007 12:49 AM

Wow! thanks for the replies! Dont think ill be cutting it any time soon haha i have never pulled a mane before though so im not sure ow to go about it while not hurting my horse! Your advice is SOOOO much appreciated...ill get apic of his mane at the momment....be warned it looks DODGE!